Dye sub or Pigment printer?

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so I am going to purchase a really good quality A3 pigment printer. Now here is my problem. I have been asked to do a one off event where i will need to print about 75 6" x 9" prints on site. Obviously I can hire a Dye Sub that will cope with that but it's not really enough to warrant the cost.

Will a good quality pigment A3 printer be able to print a 6" x 9" fast enough and what about drying time?

You're not comparing like with like - they're different tools for different jobs.

Will an A3 printer be able to fast enough..? It obviously depends on the circumstances, but if the clients are waiting in front of you for the prints to come out, then the answer will almost certainly be No.

I'm not familiar with A3 ink printers, but can you buy 9"x6" paper..? If not, then you'll be cutting to size.

How long will you have to print the 75 prints ?

Nigel, if it is a one off , you could hire a dye sublimation printer, there are a number of places that will do it.

Most Event Photographers ( including Mr Nako) uses dye subs to print on site, and he I am sure will reinforce why that is.

In simple terms any ink jet printer are too slow to print at events plus although the surface may appear dry underneath they are not so light handling is recomended.

To print that amount in one evening will be tough going with ink jets and may find yourself running out of time with impatient customers. My advice is to hire a dye sub printer that can handle the pace alternatively join up with another who has the correct equipment. If this is not possible then look at the possibility of mailing out prints after the event.

In simple terms any ink jet printer are too slow to print at events plus although the surface may appear dry underneath they are not so light handling is recomended.

To print that amount in one evening will be tough going with ink jets and may find yourself running out of time with impatient customers. My advice is to hire a dye sub printer that can handle the pace alternatively join up with another who has the correct equipment. If this is not possible then look at the possibility of mailing out prints after the event.

Thanks everyone, good advice indeed and pretty much confirmed to me that the Inkjet is a non starter.

Back