E-510 Olympus!

Edit My Images
Yes
I am still looking around but it seems to me that this will be my choice between Canon 400D, Nikon D40X and E-510.
I've heard good things about this camera and its kit lenses and is also much cheaper then other two especially since it has two lenses included in a package.
My question is since I am am aeroplane enthusiast and I do frequent airshows here and back home in Serbia I was wandering are those two lenses ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 and 14-42mm good enough to capture planes in the air during aerobatics and high speed fly-by, or will I have to go for something else afterwards?
Also can someone enlighten me on exact specs of the lenses. What is the optical magnification on 40-150mm and how do you work that out?
Thank you!

olympus has a 2x crop sensor so it in 35mm terms is 80-300mm.

for example a sigma 70-300mm on a canon would be 112-480. so 180mm longer

Thank you for the answer. To someone who is using cameras and who is into photography long time that means a lot I am sure, but could you care to elaborate bit more into details about that.
I am still trying to figure out the bit about the lenses and how to convert those numbers and F's and mm into a zoom, telephoto etc..

well not along time only 9 months.

the more mm the closer you can zoom in. I have never done any air photography but if you search in the menu above and look there was a thread recently about aircraft photography.

Personally i would go for either the canon or nikon as there are more lenses made for them and they are cheaper.

To get perspective with that what is the actual zoom factor of ED 40-150mm on E-510? you mentioned something about being 2x crop sensor as well.
I've read something about it's 4/3 factor vs wide screen with the rest of the bunch but I have to admit I don't fully understand the meaning of it. Never studied a photography or used cameras for long.

1427286707_7748ff344e.jpg

1428172676_2f130ad8df.jpg

1428176434_19b12cf86f.jpg

1427311097_ea00579a19.jpg

All taken with the E-510 and the Kit Lens (40-150) at the Southport Airshow last year. Very dull weather, but had loads of fun.

Lots more HERE.

The 2x 'crop' of the 4/3rds Olympus cameras means that a 40-150mm lens give the same FOV (Field of View) as a Full Frame 80-300mm Lens.

If you are into 'Birding', Aircraft, or anything that benefits from the longer reach then the Olympus system makes great sense and the twin-lens kit E-510 can be had for £400 now so its a steal.

If you want more reach, there is the Olympus 70-300mm (140-600mm FOV).

And dont forget the E-510 has built in IS (Image Stabalisation) so helps with all lenses.

I liked Olympus so much i upgraded to the E-3 (nice bit of kit :D)

from what i can gather, a 25mm lens on the olympus will be equivelant to what the eye sees(feel free to correct if im wrong) so anything smaller gives you wide angle and any thing bigger is telephoto. The bonus of the olympus is the lenses are smaller due to the sensor being half the size of the 35mm film.

Thank you for your answers guys. Anyways, is it possible to see some photos of the airplanes in a full glory please? I am into fighter planes and that is why I would like to buy something better then S6500FD. I am happy with that super zoom camera but 6mp and somewhat dull performance in slightly cloudy sky is not really good.
Also, shutter speed and tracking fast aircraft when low and fast is difficult.
Some of my photos from RIAT '07 in very bad weather conditions.

I've seen them but they are just the same size as the ones above. There is no button to see them in a bigger format or am I missing it somewhere? I would like to see the color, clarity of the photos taken by E-510 in order to judge it against my photos taken in a similar conditions.

click on the thumbnail, then click on "All Sizes" above the picture and it give the option of viewing the original.

I even registrated there in order to see if that helps but I don't see that button all sizes at all anywhere. Help!

Back