Eagle Heights

C

CriPPle

Here is some shots of the birds at Eagle Heights.

Vulture.jpg

BaldEagle1.jpg

BaldEagle2.jpg

These were taken about 18 months ago, I did have some of one of the displays, but was quite disapointed with those, will have to go there soon.

As always would like to hear any comments

its hard to shoot in there as its crowded and dark, you dont have a lot of time to compose or anything before someones brat bumps into you(unless you deploy Uberrucksack, a quick turn to the left and right before shooting clears any unwanted children....

the second shot has focused on his beak, so his eye isnt quite in focus, which is a shame

they dont look happy do they! one of them cleared off to canterbury iirc...

Having just spent all day yesterday trying to get decent shots of birds (of the feathered variety!), I know how difficult it is - they don't keep still for long enough.

Love the expression on the 3rd shot.

So you did pic the birds too ! They certainly bring back memories - sure I recognise the top one !?!

I agree with Matty about focus - it is critical, especially with such close studies to have the eye spot on. It is also difficult to avoid distracting backgrounds when composing.

Will be good to see how you approach next visit ? Kinda makes me want to go back now I have digi gear. Not in school holidays though ! Much better a bit out of season although weather is hit and miss !

Im not hijacking Cripple, just trying to show what you can do there, i took this there last year, got the 300mm out and really got down its throat, in a situation like this its the best way to get the bird and not the background. Flash on too...
baldeagle2.jpg

Gat down as low as you can too, stops the brats bumpin into you!

Thanks, for the comments........I actually got bored and went back there yesterday as I thought it would be nice and quiet, which it was altho lighting was bad and it was freezing outside.

I tried to use a flash for the flying display with limited success. Guess I will be going back as soon as we get a nice day on a weekend, I was talking to one of the bird handlers for the displays there and they say it starts to get busy from around the Easter period and stays like that all over the summer.

So if anyone wants to go while it's quiet, try and go before Easter

Matty said:
Im not hijacking Cripple, just trying to show what you can do there, i took this there last year, got the 300mm out and really got down its throat, in a situation like this its the best way to get the bird and not the background. Flash on too...

So you were using a large lens inside.......All my internal shots were taken with a 28-70, never really thought I would be able to get away with using a bigger lens with little light, will have to give that a go next time. :)

you will need the flash on, i had the 70-300mm sigma(the one thats really soft apparently), fill in flash will do, get resting on the fences...

It was chockfull last time i went, got one or 2 good shots outside of the display but that was all, i think it was 28degrees on the day!

Will have to give that a go next time.....Thanks for the advice :thumb:

no probs!

Matty said:

Great pic Matty - some lovely feather detail and focus appears spot on !

Shame about the border !?! :smilenod: :laugh1:

border dont show well on blue theme, might have to fix that, lol..thanks for the comments

Back