Easel Edges

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Anyone any good tips for getting super crisp edges with your easel? Mine always seem to be a bit fuzzy.

I normally put some pressure on the corner to help keep the paper flat and get clean edges. Are you sure that the enlarger is covering just over the easel?

I think I probably need to have a good look at my easel in good light and see if it presses down properly, not sure what you mean about my enlarger covering just over the easel though?

Well if you want crisp edges the image needs to go slightly over the paper area. Its hard to explain but lets say that this is your easel..

lpl_masking_frame.jpg

Is the image from the enlarger covering more than just the area that has been masked?

Ah yes I see what you mean yes... using the image edge on the neg will give you crap edges..... this is an easel issue as my image is bigger than the masked area. I don't think I've ever seen good sharp edges done with an easel though... or not razor sharp.

Hmmm, theoretically it will give you a sharp edge might have an experiment this afternoon as its been a while.

I've just had a good look at my easel and it looks a little bent, I'm going to go into the attic and dig a different one out and compare it.

Liam, is that an LPL easel in your picture? I've got three of them... two branded LPL and one identical but branded something else and actually new in the box... all three have the same problem as far as I can see.... the left and top parts don't shut down far enough, almost as though they should have a really thick piece of paper used in them.. ie about 1.5mm or so.

Sorry Chris, that was just an image I stole off google. The easel I use is able to get crisp edges. Are you able to place a piece of card under your paper before printing to remove the gap?

Yeah I could do that Liam, I'm a little confused as to why I'd have to though, especially with seeing the others the same, I have a great little Gnome easel that closes perfectly but it won't do 10x8's. In fact I'm more likely to 'modify' the easel, If I elong the hinge mounting holes that''ll probably make it work.

Back