East Lancs Railway

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
A couple from this weekends BR Steam Gala at the East Lancs Railway.

4298053234_320eaf8e3b_o.jpg

Visiting 90733 at Rawtenstall Station on the East lancs Railway. I never take front three quarters shots at stations, other than maybe the odd night shot. But I kind of liked the background here, and as it was a misty, murky day, I decided to convert to black and white and add some grain, as even at ISO2500 there was still negligible noise from the camera. Still, not sure of the composition, I think it needs a bit of a crop somewhere.

4298053096_bc60928be1_o.jpg

61994 'The Great Marquess' emerges from the mist approaching Irwell Vale station on the East Lancs Railway. Frankly it didn't make much sense keeping it as colour as the colours were so subdued, and I've added some grain to add a bit more atmosphere to the shot.

Very retro, allmost look as though they were taken fifty years ago. Very nice.

I love the atmosphere that these pictures have. I think the problem with number one is that the water tower is distracting, but I'm not sure how best to overcome that.

I think the problem is the water tower is on a 1/3 and thus dominant, better to crop the left of the shot to push it to the edge. Nice 1950's feel.

I didn't know Marquess was down there at the mo. Thought it was still hiding in its shed at Thornton. I do quite like the effect, as said, very retro.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm thinking that there's maybe too much grain on 90733, the thing is I see so many digital pics of steam locos that have been converted to black and white, and they just seem to 'clean', compared to photos taken back in the day. And if you're converting to black and white, then the whole point is to make it look like it wasn't taken last week.

Rob_W, yes, I was on the footpath by the underbridge, about half a mile down the line. Taking photographs in stations poses little challenge and limited compositions, so I tend to shoot at the lineside.

Back