Critique Eastern Pentlands

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from a walk along the Eastern hills in the Pentlands. On a nicer day the views from up hear are fantastic as it was the wind was blowing a gale, RB67 was rocking at times, and there was a definite murk in the air. Shot these through the RB67 on Pan 25. The grain on this stuff is sooo smooth that with a longer lens and a wet print you could read the paper in Edinburgh Castle from up here.

caerketton hill to the city
by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

Capelaw hill to the city
by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

I just liked the sky in this one...

Capelaw hill to Bonaly
by steveo_mcg, on Flickr

All cracking shots, and well done you for lugging the RB67 sledge hammer up those hills! There's something about the second one that really appeals, perhaps that road or track curling round and pointing towards Arthur's Seat, while the clouds in the sky seem to do the same. This may sound daft, but there also seems a bit of a mismatch between earth and sky in that one; I don't think I can properly express what I'm seeing, but it doesn't diminish (and may even add to) my enjoyment of the pic.

The sky in the last one is great as you said, and you've also got some nice lines in the ground, making an arrow shape with the sky... but I don't see anything taking me back from the mid left point I'm drawn to, hence the feeling that the second is better for me. Nothing wrong with the first, thouh; in fact it's a great shot, just maybe a tad more conventional?

Thanks for taking the time to write that Chris, a detailed critique is always appreciated. With that last one I spent a good half hour trying to find a better composition for that sky but it was quite localised and I was getting worried it was just going to cloud over so I ended up plonking for that... But now you mention it some thing and thing in the far left would have balanced it up nicely.

Its a funny thing, I actually prefer the composition of the first to the second but the sky is just dull in it.

Last edited:
Very nice images with fabulous skies!

Back