Easy file saving?

Kev

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently save my photos on the C drive and an external hard drive connected via a network switch.

I'm thinking of also adding another internal hard drive and thus saving the files in 3 places.

My question is, is there an easy way of updating the save folders when I add new files on the C drive? At the moment I occasionally do a save which rewrites all the data and is taking several hours.

cheers
Kev

You can get automatic backup software that will do this for you although I don't know the name of any off the top of my head.

Basically, the software will scan through the source folders (c:) and then the backup folders, it will make note of any files that have changed or new files and back those up only.

This should save you a lot of time.

I'll ask around for some suggestions for you!

In addition to a NAS drive, I use http://www.carbonite.com/, this just chugs away in the background without me having to think about it at all. Will backup all your internal drives.

Note : this is a backup solution not an archive.

If you are interested PM me, if I email you the link we both get free months.

While I can understand having three copies of your data, I can't see the point of two of them being in the same PC and all three being in the same house.

You should have a copy of your data on your PC\storage media, a backup of that data (on a seperate device) and possibly a third which is housed either on the internet, at a relatives house or place of work (if you have your own business). The third copy could be on a pair of USB hard disks that you swap over every week\month etc. or a network drive that you access from your house. Then should the worst happed (fire or theft) at least you will have the third copy.

As for a simple incremental backup try this:

@echo off
echo %date% - %time% > v:\xcopy.log
xcopy "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\backup5\*.*" v:\backup\ /c /s /r /d /y /i >> v:\xcopy.log

I got the batch file from here

http://www.internetfixes.com/

although I can't find it on there now

Tim

Sync toy gets my vote for that sort of thing on PCs.

Although the points about 3 copies onsite are valid, it would be a more sensible option to have the 3rd copy off site. Using something like Mozy.

or if your work allow it leave a drive there, either just rotate disks by taking them offside or if you know how remote access a box under your desk at work with the drives plugged in.. :)

Thanks for all the info, plenty for me to look at here. I'm glad to know there's a solution, and I'll definitely look at saving the 3rd copy offsite somewhere, I'd hate to lose some of the shots I've got. (y)

Kev

Back