Ebay.. Do you skip HK & China... or buy?

Hi Rich . I might be being i bit unfair , But I suppose i think negative , regard import duty , tax , etc . Might be free but dont want the expense of finding out ?. Also , what if not as requested or faulty ? Long way to send it back . I deal with one that claims "Item in Glasgow" but is in fact in Poland . (Hasn`t arrived yet either . Hmm . Bit again , in fairness , Paypal claims , you are protected ? Hope this helps.Take care . Ron

I buy lots from HK and China, feedback is the all important thing when considering an HK purchase, followed by delivery compared to actual price and then is it a good deal even if you get stuck with import duty.

I deal with one that claims "Item in Glasgow" but is in fact in Poland . (Hasn`t arrived yet either . Hmm . Bit again , in fairness , Paypal claims , you are protected ? Hope this helps.Take care . Ron

I know who you mean, I bought something off him a year or so ago and being that he said he was here in Glasgow I expected it to be here the next day, or within a couple of days at the most. In the end I think it was nearer 2 weeks, stuff from HK usually arrives in 4 days...

I know who you mean, I bought something off him a year or so ago and being that he said he was here in Glasgow I expected it to be here the next day, or within a couple of days at the most. In the end I think it was nearer 2 weeks, stuff from HK usually arrives in 4 days...

So you buy from HK then? any bad experiences? never get charged tax?

Hi

Never had any problems from HK sellers, only once had to pay import duty and that was when someone put the value in HK dollers, when I complained they refunded the duty paid.

Had more problems buying worn out rubbish described as mint from UK sellers.

Only every buy if they offer full paypal protection though.

Hi

Never had any problems from HK sellers, only once had to pay import duty and that was when someone put the value in HK dollers, when I complained they refunded the duty paid.

Had more problems buying worn out rubbish described as mint from UK sellers.

Only every buy if they offer full paypal protection though.

excellent news thank you (y)

I would always prefer to buy from the UK, but in some cases it just is crazy the price differences involved. Small things like batteries I would happily get from HK, but lenses or bodies? No chance, would rather buy from classifieds here or a trusted UK ebay seller.

Cheers,
James

So you buy from HK then? any bad experiences? never get charged tax?

I only buy small things, like batteries or screen protectors and even then only from a select few sellers that I've dealt with before. Never been hit with any duty on camera stuff, although I did have to pay the duty and fees on a watch once, but that was different, as it was something that was never sold in the UK, so I had no choice.....

I have only once bought from hong kong and I'll never again. Lucky i payed through paypal, had my money back less than 24hours after i put a clam in! So I'd say take a chance but make sure you pay through paypal and paypal only (y)

As i'm a student i only buy used lenses/Bodies etc etc,But anything small,Flash diffusers spare batteries etc etc i would usually buy from a good hong kong dealer see no problem in doing it

I have bought memory, flash triggers,synch cables but would be wary about spending a lot on a lens or body.Saying that I haven't had any problems or any import duty to pay.

I have bought stuff from Hong Kong that arrived faster than stuff from England, usually well under a week, and no problems.

I would always prefer to buy from the UK, but in some cases it just is crazy the price differences involved. Small things like batteries I would happily get from HK, but lenses or bodies? No chance, would rather buy from classifieds here or a trusted UK ebay seller.

Cheers,
James

Ditto.

The ones that promise to pay your import duty, should you get stung, do tend to be a little bit more expensive so you get less of a saving over UK resellers and then there's the loss of warranty of course.

I was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks ago and had no idea that one of the biggest eBay sellers from HK (Digital Rev) actually have two retail outlets until I stumbled across them both and very plush looking units they are too.

I have bought from HK and USA from HK I have never had a problem but USA I have had nothing but problems with lost items, Import tax and lots of other niggly stuff HK is fine

I would def buy from HK have done on a few occasions.

I bought my current D40x kit with 18-55mm lens, came with tripod and all the other extras. I had to pay duty but was still waaaay cheaper then uk.

So i would say yes balance it out prior, just incase they do sting u with duty.

Good luck mate.

Nad

Bought a few items from HK , including a 1Ds MKII, from reputable dealers, saved myself a fair amount.

Although recently, with the exchange rate being so poor, big ticket items seem to offer no price advantage over UK.

bought my new 50-200vr lens from America a year ago for £115 delivered of ebay,came in 5 days,had problems from HK with stuff not delivered.

Never had a problem with HK yet im glad to say.

Items have arrived within 10 days max depending on postage costs.

As it says on the tin.
I tend to avoid stuff from china and HK.... should I not?

Depending on an item. I would not buy a lens or a camera there mainly because of the warranty. But filters, flashes etc are absolutely fine. Find a reputable HK seller, check their postage rules (are they willing to ship the item as GIFT etc) and buy. I got lots of filters that way that would cost twice more here, also got myself thinks like Nikon remotes and batteries (real thing not the knock offs), SB-800 flash (100 pounds cheaper). All were absolutely fine without any custom taxes.

I've bought just small items, (non photography) from HK a few times in the past, paid through Paypal, never had any duty charged and not had any probs. Not sure if I would do it for slightly pricier items though, would have to think about that.:thinking:

Good luck Trev if you decide to go for it!! ;)

The only thing that I've bought from HK which hasn't arrived was a £10 UV filter. Everything else I've bought has arrived quickly and has been fine - I've only really bought small things though like batteries and that.

We did buy an Ixus 75 when we were there on honeymoon at a cheap price and it's never broken!! :D

So............have you had a go yet.........?:D

Back