Ebay Gorillapod alternative

Edit My Images
Yes
Years ago I brought a Joby Gorillapod, I found that my DSLR was too heavy in most situations so it got very little use, I've since downsized to a small mirrorless system and I'm contemplating getting another Gorillapod.

Not wanting to spend too much, I've noticed there is several cheaper alternatives on ebay, most for less than £5, has anyone had any experience of these before I buy?

This is an example...

Adam

Question is, are you prepared to risk your expensive camera, on a cheap knockoff?

Years ago I brought a Joby Gorillapod, I found that my DSLR was too heavy in most situations so it got very little use, I've since downsized to a small mirrorless system and I'm contemplating getting another Gorillapod.

Not wanting to spend too much, I've noticed there is several cheaper alternatives on ebay, most for less than £5, has anyone had any experience of these before I buy?

This is an example...

Adam

Are you willing to risk all the money spent on camera and lens, on a cheaper version? I can understand on certain things, but not one that will be holding my kit.

Question is, are you prepared to risk your expensive camera, on a cheap knockoff?
Are you willing to risk all the money spent on camera and lens, on a cheaper version? I can understand on certain things, but not one that will be holding my kit.

Frankly, I have never understood the way some folk will spend from £100's to £1000's on the camera & lens but then want to pay peanuts on the like of a tripod 'clone' to support it???

FWIW I have a Joby "Gorilla Pod" and never found it too useful until I used to hold my Trail Cam around tree branches and fence posts for such a lightweight unit it was superb :) But I owuld never trust it on my main gear ;)

Frankly, I have never understood the way some folk will spend from £100's to £1000's on the camera & lens but then want to pay peanuts on the like of a tripod 'clone' to support it???

FWIW I have a Joby "Gorilla Pod" and never found it too useful until I used to hold my Trail Cam around tree branches and fence posts for such a lightweight unit it was superb :) But I owuld never trust it on my main gear ;)

Same here. I only ever use mine to hold speedlights :)

Best use for the smallest Gorillapods (and even more so the cheap knockoffs) is as recycling.

Of the 2 DSLR gorillapod I have had, I have found the legs popped out when holding more than once and when trying to position the legs in the required shape . They seem to deteriorate with use, and unless your paying attention they fail when you least expect it. I can't imagine an el-cheap-o replicant would perform any better.

Back