Edges on Portraits

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
If you are doing a portrait for someone.....ie A4 or bigger...........would you leave a reasonable white border on the print.............or have it right up to the edges?

My view on this would be that if the print were requested in full sheet I would print it such. However, other than that I would leave a border. The logic here being that at A4 it’s a fair bet the picture is going to be framed and leaving the border allows for the fitting into the frame surround. Does that make sense :thinking:

Yes..... it does. I actually meant sort of a wide arty "mount sized" border like an inch or so all round ...not just the tiny white edge that you get when you dont use "borderless printing"..does THAT make sense?? LOL :)
...and do I put my name in it in very small very pale grey so you can only see it if you go up very close..........or not at all? Im reallly interested in getting started with these 3 lots of children whose parents want the high key B&W shots like they saw of my son.

Ahh now your talking arty (watch out I'm even hopeless at drawing matchstick men!), but. This being the case I would have said that your canvas is the whole sheet of A4. Therefore if the wide border, combined with the high key B/W photo creates an overall image then go for it. It becomes almost the whole object that is being viewed rather than just the photo on it.

See now me brain hurts :wacky:

Get some Matt board and mount it Janice it keeps the photo of the glass and it just presents itself better

I'd go for a nice wide boarder, not right up to the edges, or close to the edges as that looks crap.

Ref Seans post about the matt board, which seems the ideal answer...I believe you can still get a frame mounting cutting tool type kit...this allows you to cut nice accurate bevels into the mounting board just like the pros do. (y)

You can get buy them precut, there's plenty of sites selling them in every type of colour and size

I think a large Matt would suit A4, but then you might need a custom frame & matt.

I have big trouble putting mounts on....i am vey clumsy and they end up a mess...........are there mounts you can buy where you must slide the photo IN.... so in other words they have a backing too.

Trying to tape a mount on top of a photo is murder for a cack-handed person like me!! That is why I decided to do my portraits as a package, (like you get from schools) available singly or as a lump.

Back