Edinburgh Festival - "oh no, not more shots" I hear you say..

Name
Edit My Images
No
Hello,

First set from me from the festival. Met up with EdinburghGary at lunchtime today for a little wander. Great day for it, which makes a change (the weather has been rotten). This was my first outing with the 70-200 2.8 L, so they could be slightly better I think, some seem a little soft :thinking:.

a few more to come..

and my favourites from the day :love:

Not really done a lot of street candid stuff, so any comments/criticism is more than welcome (y)

Thanks for looking,

Neil.

I like these. Only thing I would say is that they're all close up long zoom shots so I'd like to see them a bit more in context to show how they fit in with the surroundings. It may be my dodgy eyes but some of them look like they need a little sharpen or the focus is slightly off.

EDIT - You posted the 2nd batch as I was writing this but the same comment applies.

EDIT 2 - No 14 is a very clever way of putting them in context with their surroundings - I like it.

Last edited:
thanks ranarama ;) These are straight out the camera, no cropping or anything. I kinda like close up shots, used to doing macro all the time I suppose :LOL:

They do need a sharpen though, I'll have a play!

3, 6, 12, 14 and 15 are all superb. The last one is actually one of the best I have ever seen from the festival.

I actually prefer the close crops and do not enjoy seeing the surroundings so much, I like a clean portrait and to me it's irrelevent where the event is held. More or less why I havent gone near the wide angle shots yet, loads of them to process but the surroundings just annoy me.

That lens is sweet mate.

Gary.

Between us dude, I reckon we can capture 1,000 different faces :D Awesomely good fun today.

Cheers Gary, I love #15, she was/is amazing!

1,000 faces, is that just in the lunchtiume hour? :LOL:

It was great fun, certainly beats sitting in the office reading stuff on the internet (y)

12 and 15 for sure - but great stuff, all of them.

You're right, some are a bit soft - but looking at #11 its a focus issue and not a lens issue. Working at f/2.8, it doesn't take much movement between locking focus and then pressing the shot to get a result that's just a bit out of focus Maybe try using AI servo next time - that way the focus will stay locked on despite the movement

3, 6, 12, 14 and 15 are all superb. The last one is actually one of the best I have ever seen from the festival.

I actually prefer the close crops and do not enjoy seeing the surroundings so much, I like a clean portrait and to me it's irrelevent where the event is held.

I meant to say the last one is superb.

To clarify my comment about the close in portrait shots; I like to be able to look through a set of photos of an event and be able to get some of the atmosphere of it along with the details so I personally like to see some of the brouhaha that surrounds events like these. I guess that's my philisophy for the weddings I shoot so I look for it elsewhere. All down to personal taste though and I do like these as portraits.

I reckon 15 needs printed and put on a wall somewhere mate. Fantastic.

Gary.

I have a question re #14... was it posed so you could get the shot?

ranarama, everyone has their preferences I suppose, I like close up's ;)

Gary, I did a black & white version too, not sure which one I prefer..

68lbs, none of these shots were staged, just pointed and pulled the trigger thing.

ranarama, everyone has their preferences I suppose, I like close up's ;)

Gary, I did a black & white version too, not sure which one I prefer..

68lbs, none of these shots were staged, just pointed and pulled the trigger thing.

I like the colour best, but the B & W is also very nice.

Good stuff,

Gary.

Great set mate. No's 11 and 15 are really stand out. I love No 15 for all the same reasons as above but I dont know what it is about No. 11 that makes me like it, its just so different. (y)

Andy

Some fantastic images in this set. 4, 6, 14 and 15 are ones that stand out to me:)

I agree with your original statement. I have shot a lot of the festival using the same lens with no problem. Check your metering mode. Evaluate may suit your shooting. Great shots and well done.

Thanks a lot for the feedback folks, I really appreciate it!

pugwash, what metering mode would you recommend? I'm still fairly new to this photography malarkey :shrug:

I popped up again today for a wee while, not quite as nice weather, but I'm still loving this lens :naughty:

That's me off on holiday for two weeks now, hopefully spending lots of more time at the festival!

Cheers,

Neil.

Deliberately not read any of the other comments so I wouldn't be influenced: just looked at your photographs - quick glance through first then in further detail.

I think this set of candids is wonderful (y) You've captured some great moments and expressions. Looking at the exif you obviously know what settings you need to get the shots you're after too. I wish I knew my way around my camera as well as you do your own.

A really nice set that I thoroughly enjoyed looking at :) Thanks very much for sharing.

I'm blushing Alison, and 100% cannot believe your comments. I only got my first dslr 18 months ago, and am still learning.

I have to say though, in the 18 months that I've been puhing the button, the one thing I have learned is that manual settings are the way forward. I used the auto/tv/av for about 2 weeks and wasn't happy with the results. Since then I've really focused on getting the settings spot on. It was pretty difficult with this set of shots though, as everything/everone was moving so fast, and nothing was staged here, and these are straight out the camera. There were lots of people around, the weather was changing constantly, and trying to forsee that split second shot is not so easy. I'm really happy with what I've picked up in such a short time, it's places like TP that I couldn't have done it without.

Once again, to everyone, many many many thanks!

Cheers,

Neil.

Last edited:
Thanks Gary ;) It's freaky, someone just commented on flickr about this shot:

the performer must have though I was some paparazzi dude so put on a wee show just for me :razz: Not embarrasing in front of 100+ people :thinking:

Anyhow, the gut who commented on my flickr was standing just to the left of me when I took this shot, plus, he was one of my flickr contacts! Freaky..

Am liking No6. I'm sure she'd do well in a Batman movie. :)

Nice set, some good shots with the 70-200 and a truly lovely representation of the festival from both you and Gary.

Thanks Gary ;) It's freaky, someone just commented on flickr about this shot:

the performer must have though I was some paparazzi dude so put on a wee show just for me :razz: Not embarrasing in front of 100+ people :thinking:

Anyhow, the gut who commented on my flickr was standing just to the left of me when I took this shot, plus, he was one of my flickr contacts! Freaky..

Thats awesome :D

Back