Edinburgh Monarchs Speedway

Edit My Images
No
My first post here, so hi everybody.

This was my first visit to the speedway, and I have to say it's quite tricky getting the shots right.

1.jpg

3.jpg

11.jpg

Some more shots here http://yodasarmpit.com/speedway/html/0.php

seconds my pick of the bunch, last one's a bit dark. I'm sure Witch would be able to give you some pointers but I suspect you might get away with a quicker shutter speed.

I suspect you might get away with a quicker shutter speed.

Agreed, Looking at the exif shot 1 and 3 were at 100th sec and shot 2 at 80th sec.

You have a good vantage spot inside the track and could still retain wheel motion with 250th or 320 shutter speed and get sharper images..:)

Look forward to more of these from you..(y)

Pretty impressive for a first attempt at speedway!

And Hello :)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

About the shutter speed, your probably right that I could have got away with a faster speed, but my previous panning shots were of cars at a couple of rallies and some at knockhill circuit where around 1/80th and 1/100th suited well. I imagine around1/200th would have worked well here as I was really close (about 3 meters away) and compared to a car there is a lot more detail to take in.

hello and welcome! Nice to see some more speedway shots on here - and about time too! ;)

A shutter speed of somewhere around 1/200th is usually where I aim - through the darker months working with flash I just set up in manual - now the light has improved it will be shutter priority at 1/200th. The third shot shows you are well and truly getting the hang of it in spite of being slightly underexposed. For a first visit these shots are very nice indeed - I know a few people who'd have been pleased with those from their first attempt!

The temptation is to stand right at the 2m line on the centre - often it works better to be a bit further back though and using a slightly longer focal length - easier to get more riders in shot that way sometimes as it compresses the whole thing down a touch. What kit were you using?

Is this going to be a regular thing for you now do you think?

hello and welcome! Nice to see some more speedway shots on here - and about time too! ;)

A shutter speed of somewhere around 1/200th is usually where I aim - through the darker months working with flash I just set up in manual - now the light has improved it will be shutter priority at 1/200th. The third shot shows you are well and truly getting the hang of it in spite of being slightly underexposed. For a first visit these shots are very nice indeed - I know a few people who'd have been pleased with those from their first attempt!

The temptation is to stand right at the 2m line on the centre - often it works better to be a bit further back though and using a slightly longer focal length - easier to get more riders in shot that way sometimes as it compresses the whole thing down a touch. What kit were you using?

Is this going to be a regular thing for you now do you think?
I don't know how regular it will be, but the track is in my home town so easy access, I like to shoot any motorsport but getting close to the action isn't always possible.
I kind of wish I had taken the time to try various different angles and shot types, but this was my first attempt at speedway, and as I was lucky enough to get onto the infield I didn't want to get in the way of the pro's.

As for kit, I'm just using a 300D and I pretty much just stuck with my 28 - 105mm MKII for most shots.

Back