Edinburgh

Edit My Images
No

My first pic on a DSLR with the 450D and kit lens. C&C seeked!

No PP has been done, any tips on possible PP most welcome

Last edited:
May I ask where this was taken from?

3740070925_cab55d282d.jpg

Will be up there mid august for the fringe; and this year at a different hotel to the normal one.

tar. use the icon that looks like a landscape next to the insert link

First things first - you need to straighten the horizon. It's wonky as a wonky thing. Then I'd suggest upping the exposure a tad to brighten it a bit, especially in the foreground. Which PP software do you use?

First things first - you need to straighten the horizon. It's wonky as a wonky thing. Then I'd suggest upping the exposure a tad to brighten it a bit, especially in the foreground. Which PP software do you use?

Some contrast thrown in too.

If you have Photoshop, some Shadow/Highlight would go down perfect on this (y)

Nice one fellas. I use Photoshop CS3, well I say use I haven't actually used it to edit any photos yet!

And I noticed the wonkiness. I was using a cheap Jessops tripod. I got my Manfrotto through this morning and its got spirit levels built in so I may go up and retake this once I get my wide angle through the post.

I'll try get rid of some sky next time but its difficult as its a steep hill and tilting the camera down a bit will bring some close distractive mounds into the picture

Try doing a search for Edinburgh Gary's shots of night time Edinburgh. That should give you a few nice ideas....

High Stuey
Try playing with levels in PS - very quick and good results.

You should contact Edinburgh Gary - he's always on the go and likes a bit of company on his expeditions. (and you're sure to pick up some great advice to)

Since your on the Calton hill theres another spot you might want to try at the bottom of the hill for a evening shot, the top of the steps on Regent Rd leading down to Calton Rd (known as Jacobs Ladder), their about 100 yards east of St Andrews House. It gives you a great view over the Waverley Station, north Bridge Old Town and castle at the rear.

This is one I took there a couple of years ago--->Clicky here with my old camera.

I had a little mess about...hope you don't mind.

1.levels ..it was too dark
2.up contrast slightly
3 touch sat
4 V.V.slight sharpen
5.Straighten..see note below
6.Crop...picture was so busy ..I just did a quicky to give an idea.

With regards to cheap tripod and spiit levels....I only have a v. v. v. cheap TESCO tripod (£9.99)...I use it to balance and hold the camera still(being cheap it still moves)...NOT to level up the shot...this is done with the eye and the outside frame of theviewfinder.....there's enough to do without keep looking down if little bubbles are lined up.....especially in the dark lol.
Cheers,
Keith(y)

I had a little mess about...hope you don't mind.

1.levels ..it was too dark
2.up contrast slightly
3 touch sat
4 V.V.slight sharpen
5.Straighten..see note below
6.Crop...picture was so busy ..I just did a quicky to give an idea.

With regards to cheap tripod and spiit levels....I only have a v. v. v. cheap TESCO tripod (£9.99)...I use it to balance and hold the camera still(being cheap it still moves)...NOT to level up the shot...this is done with the eye and the outside frame of theviewfinder.....there's enough to do without keep looking down if little bubbles are lined up.....especially in the dark lol.

Nicely done mate - a big improvement.

As a by the way, I'd be wary of your tripod. I used to think I had no need for a heavier, more expensive tripod until the day my £14.99 Argos cheapo toppled over, full onto my shiny 18-200VR lens. Smashed the lens hood to smithereens but fortunately left the lens untouched. I forked out on my Giottos shortly thereafter. :)

Nice shot :)

Make sure its not the scaffolding that is wonky, that could hurt ;)

Hey matey! :D

Welcome to the forum...

If you wanna catch up, give us a shout!

That scene, you can do some pretty wicked stuff using white balance.

See here:
http://www.egopimp.com/index.php?showimage=22

Take the light pollution and turn it into something pretty :) You need good clouds for it.

Gary.

Nicely done mate - a big improvement.

As a by the way, I'd be wary of your tripod. I used to think I had no need for a heavier, more expensive tripod until the day my £14.99 Argos cheapo toppled over, full onto my shiny 18-200VR lens. Smashed the lens hood to smithereens but fortunately left the lens untouched. I forked out on my Giottos shortly thereafter. :)

Yes it's done a wobbly before now but I have caught it :LOL:
Saved my fathers day money and now birthday money so will be getting a good'un hopefully soon.Main reason though is I want one of them that "go upside down" so I can take shots on live view about an inch off the ground.
Keith:)

Frank, thats a terrific photo! I'll try finding that spot for sure :)

Keith, thats a good crop and level out.An d no I dont mind at all :) Cheers. I don't seem to have any sense of balancing when I take this. Maybe it'll grow on me? But for now, the bubbles and torch will have to do heh!

Gary, theres some awesome colours in that and I wish I knew how to do that right now. I'm a total newbie to this stuff but have a good level of determination to learn alot (After the money I forked out, I should bloody well hope so!). I have photoshop so I might mess around this weekend

Back