Edingburgh

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hi all, I will be in Edinburgh on Friday afternoon, but have no idea what to do!
Will be and my girlfriend, and I will be driving, so will need somewhere to park, that isn't going to cost me all my holiday spending money :LOL:

Any reccomendations are greatly appreciated.

P.S, we've never been there before, so start with the must do things :D

For parking park at one of the Park and Rides and then buy a day ticket on the bus - £3.50 for an adult for unlimited bus travel and a huge network of buses.

Lothian Buses website has details of where the Park and Rides are (can't seem to post link using app so just Google them) .

From the point of view of what to do the Fringe is on at the moment so if you're into street photography or just general entertainment take a walk along the Royal Mile and just soak up the atmosphere

Neil

Last edited:
For parking park at one of the Park and Rides and then buy a day ticket on the bus - £3.50 for an adult for unlimited bus travel and a huge network of buses.

Lothian Buses website has details of where the Park and Rides are (can't seem to post link using app so just Google them) .

From the point of view of what to do the Fringe is on at the moment so if you're into street photography or just general entertainment take a walk along the Royal Mile and just soak up the atmosphere

Neil

Is parking going to cost me more than £7 for a few hours? I'd rather not use the bus if I can get away with it.

Candid stuff is something I've done before, so may give it another go. Is there much Architecture there?

Is parking going to cost me more than £7 for a few hours? I'd rather not use the bus if I can get away with it.

Candid stuff is something I've done before, so may give it another go. Is there much Architecture there?

Yeah it'll cost you a bomb to park I. The city centre mate, I suggest getting the train in, you'll get plenty of candid stuff as the fringe is on and there's plenty of old buildings for architecture

Yeah it'll cost you a bomb to park I. The city centre mate, I suggest getting the train in, you'll get plenty of candid stuff as the fringe is on and there's plenty of old buildings for architecture

Where would you recommend catching the train in from? I'm staying in a travelodge type thing on the outskirts at a motorway services I think. Can't remember now!

Parking in the city is extremely expensive. I don't know exactly what the current rates are, but £7 won't buy you very long! Driving in Edinburgh can be challenging too, if you don't know your way around. There are a lot of one way systems, and the city will be busy. It's the height of the tourist season and the Fringe is on.

Why don't you call the hotel and ask them about the options for getting into town? They should be able to help you.

Parking in the city is extremely expensive. I don't know exactly what the current rates are, but £7 won't buy you very long! Driving in Edinburgh can be challenging too, if you don't know your way around. There are a lot of one way systems, and the city will be busy. It's the height of the tourist season and the Fringe is on.

Why don't you call the hotel and ask them about the options for getting into town? They should be able to help you.

I'm staying just off of Junction 3 of the M8, in Livingstone. I'll be going there before I head into the City tomorrow, so I shall ask when I arrive.

I'm staying just off of Junction 3 of the M8, in Livingstone. I'll be going there before I head into the City tomorrow, so I shall ask when I arrive.

Livingston is about 15 miles west of Edinburgh. There are two railway stations and a bus service, so public transport isn't a problem.

I also meant to ask what sort of architectural subjects you're looking for? Edinburgh is a lovely, scenic, city. There's the castle, the Old (original) Town - which has buildings going back to the C16th - and Holyrood Palace; and the New Town, which isn't actually very new. It's mainly Georgian (C18th and early C19th) and is the best and most complete example of planned Georgian development in the UK. Just about everything is within walking distance too.

Livingston is about 15 miles west of Edinburgh. There are two railway stations and a bus service, so public transport isn't a problem.

I also meant to ask what sort of architectural subjects you're looking for? Edinburgh is a lovely, scenic, city. There's the castle, the Old (original) Town - which has buildings going back to the C16th - and Holyrood Palace; and the New Town, which isn't actually very new. It's mainly Georgian (C18th and early C19th) and is the best and most complete example of planned Georgian development in the UK. Just about everything is within walking distance too.

Just been looking at the park and ride, so may do that, or just catch a bus directly from Livingston. I'll see tomorrow, may catch a train purely for ease and speed. The castle is a definite. I prefer older buildings, with some character. Thanks for all your suggestions by the way (y)

Edinburgh is a good, compact city so you can get around well on foot. The Royal Mile is a good place for the candid stuff with the festival going on. that'll get you to the Catle too and all the closes that can be quite atmospheric in the late evenings. If you are looking for architecture, the New Town can look pretty nice at golden hour. It's North of Princes Street (the main shopping street) and covers areas like Stockbridge and the West End.

If you are looking for festival things, the area around Edinburgh Universities George Square is always busy, as is The Pleasance.

For park and ride try the A71 at Heriot Watt uni or along at the airport. You can drive down to Uphall station a couple of minutes from J3 and park at the railway station and get the train in, I have only ever had a one way ticket in to Edinburgh which was about £4.

Plenty of places around Edinburgh to photograph, as everyone has said the fringe is on so stick to the Royal mile or try heading over to George sq or even George st.
Lots of architecture to catch including the castle, Holyrood palace you can head down to Holyrood park and the parlimnent and Salisbury crags/ Arthurs seat for some landscape shots.
You can also head up Calton hill to look down Princess st and the north bridge as well.

Enjoy your day!

The camera obscura at the top of the Royal Mile gives an intersting and different look at the city. Been there loads and enjoy it every time. You could head down the Grassmarket & Cockburn Street as well for some fairly unique street views.

Hope you have a good visit.

Just as a matter of interest, how long are you going to be in Edinburgh for? The city is quite compact and easy to get around on foot or by bus, but there's quite lot to see and do too. Castle entry is expensive, and it takes at least a couple of hours to do a short tour, more if you really want to get the best out of it. They fire the one o'clock gun - time signal - from the ramparts every day except Sunday and it's a good photo opportunity if you can time it to be there.

I was only in Edinburgh for around 2-3 hours. We did the castle and had a wander up the royal mile. I ended up driving in, cost £6, which ended up the cheapest option! Roadworks are a nightmare though! Off to the Zoo tomorrow and then up to Skye!

I'm probably too late for your trip, but for anyone else who's interested I've just written a blog for photo locations in Edinburgh: http://www.shothotspot.com/blog/top-10-photo-locations-in-edinburgh-scotland/

You're a tad late, but not to worry! The castle is well worth a visit, and you get a wonderful view.
For anyone interested I've posted a few shots on my website www.jrturnerphotography.co.uk
The Internet up on Skye is ever so slow, so haven't uploaded much else yet.

Back