Editing grubby marks from a white infinity wall?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I had not shot in a studio for many years until yesterday and was shooting on an inevitably grubby white background. I am certain that there is a way to fairly simply deal with this in Photoshop but I no longer use it - and cannot recall how it was effectively achieved anyway to transfer the process to other software. Grateful if someone could give me a nudge in the right direction for a process other than just retouching and cloning - especially using DXO or Affinity. Thanks.

Thanks Steve appreciate your comment but pretty sure there was a way for affecting the levels of the white areas somehow rather than just cloning / healing or adding a masking layer.. Think I'll need to download a trial and hope it comes back to me!

I was still working on lighting in this - but demonstrates the grubby floor. I have over brightened the original image to show the issue. I think that I'm going to have to replace the background on the images I wish to keep - but sure that there was a better, simpler method previously.

20230728 - Erica Mulkern - 0006.jpg

Last edited:
Ok , I masked out the background using the magic wand , and then sampled the white from the original , cleared the old background and used the paint bucket tool to replace the bakground after clearing the old one, not the shortest but it worked in this case

Thanks Steve. Got a lot of images to have a look at and pick out the better ones for a more in-depth edit. Good of you to go to effort with this - will have a look to see how it translates to Affinity. Probably going to bite the bullet and go from v1 to v2 on the way.

Roughly cut out the subject so have a layer which is just the backdrop
Optionally: content aware fill the gap.
Blur the background & add a smidge of noise - use smart filters if that's your thing
Paste the subject on top in a new layer
Mask off any shadows on the floor & clean those up with healing brush.

I've made an action which does this in seconds.

Alternatively: https://retouch4.me/cleanbackdrop

Back