Editing help

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I would like some advice on editing, I have bought DXO photolab6 and have canon DPP, I seem to be very slow in learning how to do it, I thought I would use canon DPP for ISO noise reduction, neural network tool, I also hope it is correcting lens aberrations, and then use DXO, when I use DXO I know the quality should be much better than it is, and they look good in my camera, canon R5. I think the main issue is the many colour options, I cannot get good detail on feathers or fur.
I should have said I take nature pics. I also have canon tool to increase pixels after editing is finished. I have trouble with the settings on DPP, it seems to choose noise reduction value, but I am not sure if I should change anything, and cannot see if it is effective, and I assume it only changes anything in tif, so I want to get the flow right, be fairly simple, but get the best out of it, I may be asking a lot though.

I was given a tip which sticks in my mind, that is get it right when taking the photo the less time spent in trying to correct in PP. If you are really struggling to get the right effect and not happy with it , a trick I use is to make it black and white instead. Saved many photos doing that. Sorry but not used that editing suite so can't help with that

Last edited:
DXO Photolab has very good noise reduction, why not try loading your files directly rather than using DPP?

Yes agree with Gramps DXO is excellent
there is a learning process with DXO but it’s an amazing piece of software
as a starting point I would use Deep Prime for raw conversion and experiment with the sharpening settings as the default settings oversharpen and also try out some of the presets , unless there’s a colour cast though in the image the default colour settings are normally close, I also shoot with an R5
you mentioned not getting details in the feathers / fur that’s down to getting the image sharp in the first place though
I would also shoot in raw you are missing out on the best features in DXO if you shoot jpeg not saying that you are just checking

Last edited:
DXO Photolab has very good noise reduction, why not try loading your files directly rather than using DPP?
I was doing that, but I found for extreme noise reduction, I struggled with keeping detail, I read that canon's own app was good, so have been trying it. I used to just use DXO, and also Topaz studio, which is being phased out.

Yes agree with Gramps DXO is excellent
there is a learning process with DXO but it’s an amazing piece of software
as a starting point I would use Deep Prime for raw conversion and experiment with the sharpening settings as the default settings oversharpen and also try out some of the presets , unless there’s a colour cast though in the image the default colour settings are normally close, I also shoot with an R5
you mentioned not getting details in the feathers / fur that’s down to getting the image sharp in the first place though
I would also shoot in raw you are missing out on the best features in DXO if you shoot jpeg not saying that you are just checking
I do shoot raw, I should have said that, the images often look great in the camera, and sharp, but feather detail, and fur etc lack something.

I was doing that, but I found for extreme noise reduction, I struggled with keeping detail, I read that canon's own app was good, so have been trying it. I used to just use DXO, and also Topaz studio, which is being phased out.

Don't forget that with DXO you will not see the benefit of Noise reduction until you export the image. The process of noise reduction takes a lot of processing power and time which means you can't see it on the raw file. DXO's Prime and Deep Prime noise reduction is excellent.

Back