Editing software for a Mac

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter is looking for some basic photo editing software for her Mac laptop prefably of the free variety. She is not a heavy users or doing multi layers etc, just tweaking the colours, cropping and resizing

Any recommendations??

Tim

My wife's been playing with the latest version of iPhoto today and she's thrilled with it.

it seems that iPhoto's come on a long way since it first appeared and, while it's no PhotoShop, its a nice app for dipping your toes in the water when it comes to PP.

I agree with Zoom, iPhoto is probably the best for what you've listed.

If she want's to take it further and play with layers etc, check out G.I.M.P.. Commonly referred to as 'the free photoshop', it is pretty powerful for a free app!

HTH.

iphotos really good
lightrooms better but more complex and not free

I guess another Cheap(ish) solution would be PS Elements. It's not free but at £50, its reasonable alternative.

Lightroom is perfect; keep in mind that, if she's a student, she can get it at a good discounted price too (y)

Another vote for iPhoto here, it should already be installed on her Mac.

My wife's been playing with the latest version of iPhoto today and she's thrilled with it.

it seems that iPhoto's come on a long way since it first appeared and, while it's no PhotoShop, its a nice app for dipping your toes in the water when it comes to PP.

:plus1: - it's free, good for very basic adjustments and produces a great Photobook.

Chris

iphoto is surprisingly good for small adjustments and you can make photo albums which turn out brilliant but for anything bigger i would suggest looking into Aperture

Thanks for all the info, I will pass it on to her

Tim

Lightroom is perfect; keep in mind that, if she's a student, she can get it at a good discounted price too (y)

Or she can try the beta version of lightroom 3 for free to see if she likes it

Or the standard version of Lightroom or even Aperture or Photoshop Elements free for 30 days, but if it is only basic stuff iPhoto is more than competent.

You know you can do everything that you mentioned using PREVIEW. Look under the TOOLS menu. You can crop, adjust exposure/colour etc and resize then change the file type easily.

I use iPhoto all of the time on my Air as Aperture takes up too much valuable space out of it's limited HD capacity... but it serves me well for most things I want to do... :shrug:

If I do need that llittle extra I use Aperture on the iMacs... :D

However, I have been seriously considering the latest Elements for Mac as I used to love that on the PC systems I had aeons ago... :cautious:

:p

Picasa is pretty decent free editing software too.

Edit: Oops just realised someone beat me to it! It's definitely worth a download.

Back