EF70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM

Edit My Images
Yes
I am currently looking at this lens as an alternative to the EF100-400mm L IS USM and want some opinions/advice. I would ask that you please read the whole of this thread before you start calling me a heathen for thinking about getting this instead of the 100-400 L :p

My reasons for considering the 70-300 DO are as follows - After having a play with the 100-400 and deciding that I absolutely love it to bits, I've had a bit of a reality check. Firstly, the price. There's a huge chance that me & the bf will be getting our own place together this year and as the main bread winner, I should be watching the pennies. The 100-400 is £250 more than the 70-300 and I'm not sure if I should be spending that much on a lens. Secondly, and most importantly, the weight. I want this lens as a walk about lens. I need to be able to take it on holiday with me, and I really don't want a huge lens to carry around. I have enough trouble with the relatively small lenses I have. This is the main factor which puts me off the 100-400. I'm concerned that if I did get it, then I'd never take it anywhere because it's so heavy and wouldn't get maximum use out of it. My worry was confirmed when I was talking to Cykey about it yesterday. He said it puts him off taking it out with him... and he's a lot taller/stronger than me.

So, I've been looking at the EF70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM. I am aware that the image quality is not on par with the 100-400 L, but I was wondering if anyone on here actually has one and/or some example shots using one. I'm yet to find one in Jessops to try, so I haven't even held it yet. I also considered the non-DO version, but apparently it's an older lens and you've more chance of winning the lottery than getting one.

With my Canon money off vouchers, I can get these lenses for the following:
100-400 - £974 + P&P
70-300 - £729 + P&P

SO.... Any experience/examples with the DO? Any advice? Any alternatives? Am I missing an awesome lens that meets all my requirements? HELP!!! :bang:

My main requirements for this lens (image quality goes without saying):
  • Must go to at least 300mm (tried the 70-200 F4 L and it's not enough)
  • Must be relatively small (i.e. a walk about lens)
  • Absolute max price limit is £750
  • Really really really want IS if possible

OR shall I just search the earth for a non-DO 70-300 IS USM?

At the risk of sounding silly...

Is the 70-200 and the 1.4x converter not an option?
Fits in your price, small enough to walk about, but no IS.

Try here for some info:

FredMiranda

Dont actually have any experience of the 70-300 myself, would have suggested perhaps a 70-200 F4 + 1.4x Extender, however you dont quite get 300mm and of course you lose IS which with these focal lens is a big advantage when you dont have a tripod - so I dont think this is actually good enough for your needs.

I have however heard that the DO lenses are not considered to be worth their cost, when compared to none DO versions the only really advantage tends to be their size - being smaller and lighter, however image quality is usually reported as below average (or atleast below what you would expect in their price range).

Guys, thanks for the suggestions so far:

Joe T - Thanks. Will have a look at the Sigma and perhaps try it out to get a feel of the weight. At £690 odd though, I think the lens + converter is just too much money.

Marcel - 70-200 + converter with no IS = No. I'd lose a stop on top of f4, and I don't have the steadiest of hands. Otherwise, this would be a great alternative... tried one out yesterday and it was great, but too short.

Warspite - Cheers for the info. I always go to FredMiranda for reviews, it's great. I'd heard that the DO isn't really worth the money. If the 70-300 IS USM was freely available, I'd get that. Trouble is that I can't even find one to try in a shop. I'm a bit nervous about buying one without having tried it.

Kate,
I have the 70-300 DO and it was my walkabout lens until I bought the 24-105.
I found it a very good lens and certainly much better than many of the reports would have you believe. Its also pretty inconspicuous, for what is effectively almost 10x magnification on a 1.6 crop, so is good for candids. I found focussing pretty fast and the IS works well as expected.

I am probably going to sell it shortly (PM me if you are interested) as I am slowly coming to the realisation that I really need IS in my 400mm lens and the only financial option at this point is the 100-400. So I may sell both the 70-300 and the 400mm to achieve that.

A few sample shots for you but these were all from my early jpeg days before I discovered RAW, RSP and Photoshop.

The last two are at 300mm.

MFWILD%2331.jpg

MFWILD%233-version2.jpg

MFWILD%2313.jpg

I want this lens as a walk about lens.

I found that even 70mm was too long as a walkabout , 100mm plus the weight would be a killer .

mrgubby said:
I found that even 70mm was too long as a walkabout , 100mm plus the weight would be a killer .
Which lens are you referring to here?

Kate said:
Which lens are you referring to here?

you were deciding on whether to get the 70-300 or the 100-400 for use as a 'walkabout' lens. I was just saying that I'd found that 70mm was too long for a 'walkabout' lens , never quite wide enough (IMO). I ended up getting a 28-300 , not the sharpest/quickest but it serves me well in the 'walkabout' category :)

mrgubby said:
you were deciding on whether to get the 70-300 or the 100-400 for use as a 'walkabout' lens. I was just saying that I'd found that 70mm was too long for a 'walkabout' lens , never quite wide enough (IMO). I ended up getting a 28-300 , not the sharpest/quickest but it serves me well in the 'walkabout' category :)
The 100-400 has already been ruled out. The 70-300 is potentially the DO IS USM, which is diddy :)

I have the non DO version of the 70-300 IS USM and on my 350D+grip its perfectly fine to carry round, plus I am very happy with the quality of images it produces.

If I get chance tomorrow I can post up a couple of recent shots with it if you like?

Oh here is the photozone review of the DO version:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_70300_4556do_is/index.htm

Verdict

In principal the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM DO IS is a very interesting lens ... in principal. From a performance point of view it delivers all that a consumer has hoped for - high resolution figures in conjunction with low distortions, low vignetting and low chromatic aberrations and all packaged in a quite sturdy, small package with high speed AF. So what is the problem ? Well, it's the price tag. The optical performance of the new EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS (non-DO) is simply about as good. Mechanically it isn't quite in the same league as the DO lens but ... hey - it comes at a 50% lower price tag! If we throw in the added values plus a little coolness factor the DO lens may be worth a 200-250 EUR/$ premium over the conventional lens but at 1100 EUR/US$ it is simply way over-priced (also true for the EF 400mm f/4 USM DO IS). So unless Canon reduces the price to something more in line with the (in-house) competition there're some question marks whether the lens is really worth the extra financial sacrifice.

mrgubby said:
Completely off topic but I'm certain that's lyrics from a song :thinking:

i think its that country classic, 'My lady, she done gone left me...'
full line reads:

'we went to the mayors place
hes having a get-together and the house was real big,
We met the mayors wife Middy
the DO IS USM, which is diddy

proably best i stay out this thread...:geek:

matty said:
i think its that country classic, 'My lady, she done gone left me...'
full line reads:

'we went to the mayors place
hes having a get-together and the house was real big,
We met the mayors wife Middy
the DO IS USM, which is diddy

proably best i stay out this thread...:geek:

Have a few :beer: from me :clap: :clap:

Braeden said:
I have the non DO version of the 70-300 IS USM and on my 350D+grip its perfectly fine to carry round, plus I am very happy with the quality of images it produces.

If I get chance tomorrow I can post up a couple of recent shots with it if you like?

Oh here is the photozone review of the DO version:
Argh, I really want the 70-300 IS USM. It's just a good compromise IMO. Nowhere on earth seems to stock it though :( Might just see if I can order it and hope it turns up eventually. When did you get yours? How long did it take to find?

Matty/MrGubby - I was thinking it was more Gangster Rap rather than Country and Western, but you may be right there :LOL:

Kate, Stumpy has a 70-300 IS USM for sale...little used!

found another song with those lyrics

called StayOutta My face, mofo, or i'm gonna rip you a new ass....

'Taking my bitch from the HO house, back to the CRIB in the hummer
gonna get me some ASS with ma honey, gonna do it in the garden cos its summer
got the sounds on in the Player, ma ho asks what im playing,
the DO IS USM, which is ****** diddy'

P diddy apparently...

This guy on ebay has them here:

CLICKY

I bought my 70-200 F2.8L from him and a mate got his 100-400 L from there too, no problems at all.

Have you tried Kerso? He might be able to get one to order...

I've been using a 70-300 non DO recently and it's a very good lens. You can combine it with the 17-85 USM IS and have the full range covered by IS goodness! :)

Kate said:
OR shall I just search the earth for a 70-300 IS USM?

That is exactly the lens that fits your criteria.
Go for it !!!

matty said:
Kate, Stumpy has a 70-300 IS USM for sale...little used!
Stumpy's is the older 75-300 IS USM, which doesn't get as good reviews as the 70-300 IS USM unfortunately. I spoke to him about it a while ago when he told me that he might be selling it. Thanks for letting me know nonetheless :)

SDK^ said:
That is exactly the lens that fits your criteria.
Go for it !!!
Bah, I think I knew this from the start, I just didn't want to have to wait for the damn thing :shake: You're right though. I have a £35 off voucher for it too (if bought in the EU). The search begins.....

Yes, I have the 75-300 IS up for sale, while I personally don't agree with the majority reviews on most other forums for the lens I'd like the chance to check out the 70-300.
Some of the reviews by owners* of the 75-300 make me wonder if they knew how to take a lens cap off. But thats another topic :)

I'd not opt for 70-300 as a walkaround tbh, it's too long for the interesting building or landscape stuff.

digitalfailure said:
Yes, I have the 75-300 IS up for sale, while I personally don't agree with the majority reviews on most other forums for the lens I'd like the chance to check out the 70-300.
Some of the reviews by owners* of the 75-300 make me wonder if they knew how to take a lens cap off. But thats another topic :)

I'd not opt for 70-300 as a walkaround tbh, it's too long for the interesting building or landscape stuff.
Are you going to the Twycross meet Stumpy? I'd like to at least try the 75-300 IS USM, but since it's not sold anywhere now, it's pretty difficult.

I think I got my words mixed up when I said walkabout lens... I have my Tamron 17-35mm for that which is a beautiful lens. I just want this as a lens I can carry around with me in my bag when I'm out and about. I don't want it to weigh 8 tonnes as that will put me off taking it anywhere.

I won't be there, as much as i'd have liked to.

The lens might be sold tomorrow (crosses fingers and toes) so we'll have to wait and see before I offer it as a loan lens.

where is twycross anyway?
never been there

digitalfailure said:

The lens might be sold tomorrow (crosses fingers and toes) so we'll have to wait and see before I offer it as a loan lens.

never been there
9 miles from my house :p

It's in Leicestershire... near the end of the M42

digitalfailure said:

never been there

Slacker

/runs

As you know, I handled one of these in the shop - the biggest selling point for me after the build quality (which was fantastic) was the size - so small for such a lens. I used to have a crappy 75-300 USM which was huge, as was the 75-300 USM IS in comparison to the DO.

What a shame the only one in the UK as far as that company goes is in Edinburgh :(

DRZ said:
As you know, I handled one of these in the shop - the biggest selling point for me after the build quality (which was fantastic) was the size - so small for such a lens. I used to have a crappy 75-300 USM which was huge, as was the 75-300 USM IS in comparison to the DO.

What a shame the only one in the UK as far as that company goes is in Edinburgh :(
You can say Jessops in here ;)

I have now discovered that I can get the 70-300mm DO for £700 PLUS my £70 Canon cashback voucher. This is very tempting. HOWEVER, it is looking more and more likely that we'll be getting a place of our own pretty soon, so I need to be careful with my finances and really shouldn't be spending money on lenses. I think I'm going to try and see if I can find a 70-300 IS USM (non-DO). This looks like the best option and although I haven't had the chance to try it, the reviews have been pretty good thus far.

Speaking as somebody who hates it when people buy kit better than mine ;) , BUY IT NOW . You'll never be able to afford it after purchasing a house, there is always something more important to buy etc.

BUY IT NOW (y)

ps. I've been there :( , 18 years later there are still things more important (so I get told).

pps. get the 100-400 :)

mrgubby said:
Speaking as somebody who hates it when people buy kit better than mine ;) , BUY IT NOW . You'll never be able to afford it after purchasing a house, there is always something more important to buy etc.

BUY IT NOW (y)

ps. I've been there :( , 18 years later there are still things more important (so I get told).

pps. get the 100-400 :)
There is nothing I would like more than the 100-400L, but I would be wasting my money as I wouldn't get the use out of it. It'd get left at home, especially when I went on holiday, because it's just too big and heavy. I have to let my head rule over my heart on this one :(

It's a pity you aren't closer to me, I would happily let you try the non DO lens out.

Even though, it took me a long time to find somewhere in the UK that had any in stock

Back