Eilean Donan Castle - Isle of Skye

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm spending a week up in the Highlands next week (fingers crossed for good weather), and whilst I won't get "too much" time with the camera, I want to try and get a nice photo of the above castle (I've read it's Scotland's most photographed castle).

I was just wondering, for those who have photographed it, what is your experience of it? Does it matter where you shoot from, or were there some angles you wish you had/hadn't shot from?

Ordinarily i'd spend a while walking around, looking, but time sadly isn't plentiful whilst we're there, with a lot of driving to be done, so i'm hoping to maximise all available shooting time.

Thanks in advance!

DS

There's a car park and visitor centre on site so perhaps you could have a picnic/pit stop if you have the wife and sprogs in tow. There'll be enough for them to do for half an hour whilst you take some pics.
As far as best angles etc, I think they all look good.
Re most photographed castle in Scotland, Edinburgh Castle has the honours for that one.

The best view is from a wee road up the hill overlooking the castle.

The best view is from a wee road up the hill overlooking the castle.

I don't like this one so much :(

The best in the morning is to shoot from the left of the castle from the car park - ideally at high tide on a still day for reflections :D

In the evening park beyond the castle (A87 northbound) just over the bridge at the Dornie public toilets. Walk back and shoot across to the caslt with the sun behind you.

At dusk - any side - they light it up to 12am from just after sunset.

Good advice from Steve, but time of day will be the important thing for tourists as well as the light. The castle is pretty much heaving with people for much of the day, with loads of buses as well as private cars.

There's a car park and visitor centre on site so perhaps you could have a picnic/pit stop if you have the wife and sprogs in tow. There'll be enough for them to do for half an hour whilst you take some pics.
As far as best angles etc, I think they all look good.
Re most photographed castle in Scotland, Edinburgh Castle has the honours for that one.

Thank you for your reply! No kids, just the wife (I'm the kid really!) I aim to get there around 8/8.30am as thats the earliest we can manage as we'll be leaving Portree that morning and visiting the castle on the way up north!

If you drive past the Castle and across the main road bridge, There's a carpark into the left which gives you a view looking across to the castle with the hills in the background.
That's where I took these from.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/eilean-donan-castle.690073/

I really like that photo! I'll be there in the morning, so no idea what the weather/clouds etc will be like, but it's the only real chance I have to shoot it. I will keep this spot in mind to get away from crowds in the car park!

I don't like this one so much :(

The best in the morning is to shoot from the left of the castle from the car park - ideally at high tide on a still day for reflections :D

In the evening park beyond the castle (A87 northbound) just over the bridge at the Dornie public toilets. Walk back and shoot across to the caslt with the sun behind you.

At dusk - any side - they light it up to 12am from just after sunset.

I'll be shooting in the morning as we leave Isle of Skye and head up north to JoG then Durness! This info is really helpful, thank you :)

Good advice from Steve, but time of day will be the important thing for tourists as well as the light. The castle is pretty much heaving with people for much of the day, with loads of buses as well as private cars.

Is it busy only when the castle is open? (9.30am i think), or is it busy before and after also? I imagine battling crowd and getting photos with them not in the way is going to e a challenge!

Is it busy only when the castle is open? (9.30am i think), or is it busy before and after also? I imagine battling crowd and getting photos with them not in the way is going to e a challenge!
I don't think you can get across the bridge when the visitor centre is closed, so definitely quieter then.

Back