Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar Deilephila Elpenor

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

An Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar Deilephila Elpenor form today, if you want to find one look on Rosebay Willow Herb plants, they dont go on anything else, last shot is just to give idea of size :eek: Comments welcome as always (y)

IMG_5381 Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar (Deilephila Elpenor) Birkacre Meadow Yarrow Valley Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar (Deilephila Elpenor) Birkacre Meadow Yarrow Valley Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

IMG_5413 Elephant Hawk Moth Caterpillar (Deilephila Elpenor) On My Hand Birkacre Meadow Yarrow Valley Chorley Lancashire by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Rhod, Ive been looking for these for last 4yrs I was determined to find them this year, I found 1 then I found loads in different stags, sods law, I brought a green 1 and a more developed one home got them in the vivarium ; iwas thinking do a timelapse of them, then take them back to let them go (y)

Nice find that Dave and well shot. These are big buggers arent they. Also they feed on Fuchsia, Bedstraw, and are rather partial to grapevines aswell.

Great find and great pictures! I'm surprised it's taken four years to find....it's massive! :)

ely caught Dave I see from you OP - they feed on Ros ebay Willow Herb (y)

Les :LOL::LOL:

Nice find that Dave and well shot. These are big buggers arent they. Also they feed on Fuchsia, Bedstraw, and are rather partial to grapevines aswell.

Thanks Gary yeah their monstrous knew they went on Fuchsia, Gary lily said on CN forum,

Great find and great pictures! I'm surprised it's taken four years to find....it's massive! :)

Thanks Warren think that shows how rare they are (y) Ive never seen 1 posted on TP in all the years Ive been on TP, think its a first (y)

ely caught Dave I see from you OP - they feed on Ros ebay Willow Herb (y)

Les :LOL::LOL:

Thanks Les, yep checkout the rosebays willowherbs (y) if you want to find one good luck (y)

Hi Dave. in glouster at the mo. Only got phone so pics not up much on it. will have a better look on Mon when home.
used to see these all time when i was younger.

Thanks Baz these guys have took some hunting down, think their rare as they make a nice take away meal for birds :( :eek: Ive never seen one on TP before :D

On my dog walk today Ive found another so i brought it home, dont worry its got plenty of food, and its nice and warm unlike outside its cold, Gonna take some shots and take it back to where I found him

Done a search dont think theres an EHMC ever been posted before :D

Great shots Dave
. I've only seen one caterpillar this year and that was in a Blackbirds beak

Wonderful caterpillars, and interestingly I planted bedstraw this year! Will have to look more closely for the caterpillars next year! Thank you for the heads up on their favourite food plants!

Superb pictures Dave. Quick note, if you have a caterpillar and want it to pupate and dont have Epilobium angustifolium (Rosebay) they will eat leaves of fuschia sp. They need 6" of just damp compost to dig down into, as they would below rosebay. I have hatched 3 out this way. It's a lovely way to involve children. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Peter.

Wonderful caterpillars, and interestingly I planted bedstraw this year! Will have to look more closely for the caterpillars next year! Thank you for the heads up on their favourite food plants!

Thanks Welly,

Superb pictures Dave. Quick note, if you have a caterpillar and want it to pupate and dont have Epilobium angustifolium (Rosebay) they will eat leaves of fuschia sp. They need 6" of just damp compost to dig down into, as they would below rosebay. I have hatched 3 out this way. It's a lovely way to involve children. Hope this helps. Kind regards, Peter.

Thanks for the info Peter I was going to let it pupate but decided to return it to where I found it

Back