Elliott Erwitt - Snaps

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

I bought this from a bookshop just over a week ago and it is the book I have enjoyed reading and looking through the most recently. Page after page of quality, thick paper filled with Mr. Erwitt's personal work, shot on his Leica M3 with Ilford HP5.

It has made me want to shoot more B&W, that's for sure as well as print again. Has anyone else had the pleasure, and what are some other books of a similar genre you would recommend for me to check out? I also have one of the work of Vivian Maier, which again is mostly B&W and stunning but there are a few colour images in there. It's the one entitled, "a photographer found" as there are a few with her work in. Oh, also All About Saul Leiter, although that's mostly colour work, it seems.

I have that book too, it's nice.

There are really too many books to list, so it will all come down to the style you prefer, but there are a number of other books by Elliot Erwitt you could check out. There are classics like The Americans by Robert Frank, or Cartier-Bresson's The Decisive Moment (that's quite expensive though, but I own this book that shares many of the images at a far more reasonable price). A Lifetime of Looking by Jane Bown is very good, mixing her portrait work with her personal, street-style shots. Phaidon do a series of small books called 55s. These are pretty affordable and there are quite a range of different photographers work that you can sample - I've got a few of those - the Chris Killip one is good.

I have that book too, it's nice.

There are really too many books to list, so it will all come down to the style you prefer, but there are a number of other books by Elliot Erwitt you could check out. There are classics like The Americans by Robert Frank, or Cartier-Bresson's The Decisive Moment (that's quite expensive though, but I own this book that shares many of the images at a far more reasonable price). A Lifetime of Looking by Jane Bown is very good, mixing her portrait work with her personal, street-style shots. Phaidon do a series of small books called 55s. These are pretty affordable and there are quite a range of different photographers work that you can sample - I've got a few of those - the Chris Killip one is good.

Some cracking suggestions, there. The one by Jane Brown looks right up my street. :D

Going to chuck in Dogs & Personal Best (Erwitt), The Street Philosophy of Garry Winogrand and All About Saul Leiter (re-inforcing your endorsement) as well as The Americans. (re-nforcing Nige's words)

I was really impressed with quite a few of the photographers in "Street Photography Now" which is a nice collection of modern stuff. IIRC Matt Stuart shoots with an M6 and after hearing his interview with Ben Smith on A Small Voice, I really enjoyed taking a second look at his stuff. Probnably a lot of the rest is digital though.

Thanks for the headsup on the Jane Bown book. That's my July treat :)

Edit to add Taschen's "Icons" book on Robert Dosineau is very affordable and enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back