Embarrassed Sprawk

Name
Jenny
Edit My Images
Yes
I was working in my office today when there was an almighty bang on the window. I rushed outside and found a very dazed sparrowhawk. It was very lucky to be alive because it hit the window with such a bang.

I am very happy that it didn't manage to get what it was after - one of the little birds on my bird feeder. I always feel that it is my fault when one of my little ones is taken while feeding.

I am not sure whether this is a female or a juvenile. Can anyone confirm from this photo?

Anyway, I am happy to say that it eventually flew off, so did not sustain any serious injury.

CImg9904b.jpg

Jenny

feel sorry for it lying there with it's beak open BUT thay eye is seriously scary.

Well captured shot...spot on focus on the scary bit.

Keith (y)

Nice capture, looks like a juvenile to me.

We had the same thing at home last week, one flew into the patio door, got up and flew into it a second time, flew off no problem.

Nice shot, I too would think a juvenile. We once had one chase a starling into our conservatory, it missed the starling, slapped our friend on the head with its wing and flew straight out of the door it came in from, so it knew its bearings well enough and was not confused by the glass. Great close encounter.

99% sure its female looking at the head shape
and colour.
but with nothing to compare sizes to there is a small
chance that it could be a musket (male)

It is however 100% a juvenile, they have heart shaped patterns,
instead of horizontal bars .
If you look closely you can see them

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like they are very robust creatures.

Interesting comment about the heart-shapes. Here is another picture which shows them very clearly...

CImg9905b.jpg

... so I think we can definitely assume it is a juvenile. When it did manage to get up, its back feathers were quite grey.

It must be the silly season - I was just watching the news this evening and there was another big bang (different window). This time it was a wood pigeon which just flew off as if nothing had happened. I have some very impressive bird-shaped marks on the windows now.

Jenny

99% sure its female looking at the head shape
and colour.
but with nothing to compare sizes to there is a small
chance that it could be a musket (male)

It is however 100% a juvenile, they have heart shaped patterns,
instead of horizontal bars .
If you look closely you can see them

:agree: ... :naughty: ... Now there's a man that knows what he's talking about... (y) ... listen up guys 'n gals... :D

Exceptional opportunity to capture this magnificent creature up close and personal... embarrassed or not... ;) ... and you've done a superb job on that
Jenny... :clap: ... I hope you feel privileged... ;)

:p

Interesting comment about the heart-shapes. Here is another picture which shows them very clearly...

Legend has it that there are 140-ish heart shapes ( I have never bothered to count though :D)
each one represents a bird that "died" in order to bring the spar to fledging

It must be the silly season - I was just watching the news this evening and there was another big bang (different window).

Definitely silly season, as all predators are now finding it more difficult to catch prey,
as they ( the prey) are "older and wiser"
I do rehabbing for a couple of raptor charities
and last week collected a Musket that was handed in to the local vets.
The vets had ID'ed as a Kestrel. ( same thing hit a window)
When I got there it was in a cat ( sans cat I hasten to add)
pen with a water bowl and cat food :bang:
the bowl wasn't so silly but they should have crop tubed it with glucose
to get the blood sugar up, Vets? Huh!

:agree: ... :naughty: ... Now there's a man that knows what he's talking about... (y) ... listen up guys 'n gals... :D
Oh stop it Ven I won't be able to get through the door :D
( but thanks (y))

... I hope you feel privileged... ;)

Yes, Ven, I do feel privileged. I watch (and catalogue) all the wildlife in my garden and it is better than watching TV! Last night, for the first time, I saw a poplar hawk-moth - the biggest moth that I have ever seen in the UK (3 inch wingspan). Absolutely magnificent. Most people just don't notice the amazing creatures that are all around us.

Chris, I won't bother counting the hearts I will take your word for it. The first time that I witnessed a sprawk take one of my little birds, I was completely devastated - really upset for days. I reckon I've got used to it now, that's nature after all, but I make sure there is plenty of shelter around the feeders for the little ones to hide.

Jenny

Chris, I won't bother counting the hearts I will take your word for it. The first time that I witnessed a sprawk take one of my little birds, I was completely devastated - really upset for days. I reckon I've got used to it now, that's nature after all, but I make sure there is plenty of shelter around the feeders for the little ones to hide.

Jenny

Jenny, don't feel bad, just look at it this way you, are feeding ALL the birds in the area.
Spars are a lot less commom than a lot, so need all the help they can get (y)
(They are only going to take one a day anyway, if they are "lucky" )

Thanks, everyone. It sounds like they are very robust creatures.

Actually they, like all smallish fast BoPs are surprisingly delicate... :shrug: ... they have to be to be so swift and maneuverable to catch their prey... :cautious:

Jenny said:

CImg9905b.jpg

Interestingly this is a totally submissive pose for BoPs and they will stay dead still and quite subdued for a surprising amount of time when laid on their backs like this... even and especially in the hand... ;)

It clearly also makes for a great recovery position... :D

Thanx for showing us those delightful images Jenny... (y)

Cobblas said:
Oh stop it Ven I won't be able to get through the door
( but thanks )

:confused:

Good you got the shot before it 'came to' and flew off.

This evening my wife and I were having dinner out on the patio and I caught sight of a magpie coming towards the garden with a sparrowhawk a couple of feet behind ,suddenly the magpie did a fantastic angled dive -like a military jet as it 'peels' away and it went into the large,high plum tree in next door's garden. The SH flew straight on between our house and the other neighbour. Just before that, all the sparrows,about 30, that live in our pyracantha hedge next to the multi- feeder dropped, as one, into the thick hedge and I commented to my wife about it, usually when they do that there's something like the SH about and lo and behold it arrived. Fair play to that magpie ,it must have been at top speed. It stayed there for about 5 minutes and then came out, looked around and then flew off.

Originally Posted by Cobblas
Oh stop it Ven I won't be able to get through the door
( but thanks )

Oi! Watch it! :bat: :D

Good you got the shot before it 'came to' and flew off.

Yes, I had to be quick. First of all I grabbed my 40d but realised I had the wrong lens on. So, desperate in case I missed the opportunity, I shot these with my little "point and shoot". When I saw it lying on its back I thought it was a goner. I think it would have stayed like that longer but it was not very happy about me wielding the camera.

This evening my wife and I were having dinner out on the patio and I caught sight of a magpie coming towards the garden with a sparrowhawk a couple of feet behind ,suddenly the magpie did a fantastic angled dive -like a military jet as it 'peels' away and it went into the large,high plum tree in next door's garden. The SH flew straight on between our house and the other neighbour. Just before that, all the sparrows,about 30, that live in our pyracantha hedge next to the multi- feeder dropped, as one, into the thick hedge and I commented to my wife about it, usually when they do that there's something like the SH about and lo and behold it arrived. Fair play to that magpie ,it must have been at top speed. It stayed there for about 5 minutes and then came out, looked around and then flew off.

LOL. Surely it was a bit optimistic for the SH to think it could take a magpie?

Jenny

LOL. Surely it was a bit optimistic for the SH to think it could take a magpie?

Jenny

Traditional falconers fly Spars at Blackbird

the not so traditional fly them ( quite successfully) at magpies, pigeons. doves moorhens and partridge

Back