Beginner Empty sky photography question

Don't forget when you look at other peoples images on here and similar places they are only showing you the better ones, we all have a lot of no shows we hide. The other thing is as it's photographers on here not just trippers taking snap shots they will plan their day around the weather and only go when conditions are right for the type of image they're after. So if it's clear skies then forget seascapes and look for the dappled shade in the blue bell woods etc.
You can of course add the sky and clouds later in photoshop but I personally wouldn't do that as I like to get as much right in camera not at the desk later. If you wanted to do that then that's fine as it's a free world and if it suits you then all is good.

What do you guys tend to take photographs of when there are no clouds in the sky, seems my seascape pics always seem lacking when its just an empty space above. Finding I am losing some inspiration and becoming frustrated as I seek to better myself

Regards
Paul
That's just the way photography is, if the sky is really boring then generally in landscape you would leave as much of it out as possible when you compose the shot. OK on a seascape you may want more sky in. It really means doing the best you can and putting it down to experience but coming back another day. Many photographers will plan their photo days around the forecast hoping for dramatic lighting. It's not easy getting fantastic shots it takes a lot of time.
The best thing might be to choose a different subject, try woodlands for example where you can leave out the sky completely

I'm a portrait photographer so I may know nowt...

But if I point my camera at my Mrs first thing in the morning, wearing an old dressing gown and last nights makeup, she'll look crap, so the photo's will look crap.

When I shoot rally cars, I could stay in the spectator area, and the foreground will be a load of anoraks, the background will be a load of signs and safety tape.

The simple truth is, we can only photograph what's in front of the camera. So I wait till my Mrs is feeling and looking great and in the mood for her photo taken, I walk miles into Rally stages looking for a pleasing scene and light direction to surround my rally cars. When we shoot stuff in a studio, it's not plonked against a background, we carefully consider the lighting pattern and work to produce that.

If you want to shoot landscapes with dramatic skies, watch the weather forecast, plan your trip and hope your luck holds, then photograph the dramatic skies.

My favourite explanation when posing and lighting people is 'the magic doesn't happen inside the box', you can manipulate what you've captured to a degree, but you have to capture something worth the work first.

That's just the way photography is ... it really means doing the best you can and putting it down to experience but coming back another day. Many photographers will plan their photo days around the forecast hoping for dramatic lighting. It's not easy getting fantastic shots it takes a lot of time.
The simple truth is, we can only photograph what's in front of the camera.
If you want to shoot landscapes with dramatic skies, watch the weather forecast, plan your trip and hope your luck holds, then photograph the dramatic skies.
My favourite explanation when posing and lighting people is 'the magic doesn't happen inside the box', you can manipulate what you've captured to a degree, but you have to capture something worth the work first.

As above, and try to adapt your 'seeing' to what records well as a photograph in terms of light. Your mistake seems to be in thinking that you can just point your camera anywhere you like, and by some magic achieve a photograph that works. You've already found something that doesn't work - so instead of fighting that, transfer your attentions - look around for subjects that'll render within the scope of the medium. It's trial & error, but you're on the road ...

What do you guys tend to take photographs of when there are no clouds in the sky, seems my seascape pics always seem lacking when its just an empty space above. Finding I am losing some inspiration and becoming frustrated as I seek to better myself

Regards
Paul

Another way to help your photography and get you inspired is to look in the meeting section on here and see if there's anything in your area, it's a great way to meet fellow members who have the same interests and will only be to happy to help you out.

Regards
Paul
Have you thought of composing so that the sky takes up much less space when the sky isn't that interesting? If the detail is in the sky make it a feature, otherwise get it out of the shot. :)

Rule of thirds. 1/3 of blue sky isn't going to look awful if the other 2/3 of the image is interesting. Have a play with the composition, you might find you can still get the results you desire. As others have said, timing your shots is also great, but not always possible.

Landscapes aren't just about the "big picture".. try more intricate detail shots.. pebbles on the beach, rusty pier structures, groynes, rock strata. I guess it depends on location a little too, we're lucky here in North Wales to have such a fantastic variety of photography there's always something regardless of weather

Simon

As has been said though - if its not there shoot something that is or don't shoot at all, get an ice cream and chill

If you want dramatic skies go when there is one, or likely to be, DON'T photograph one and 'drop it in' in Photoshop later !!! Even if done extremely well you'll always know you 'cheated' even if you fool everyone else

And if the sky is pants, shoot elements of the landscape that don't need the sky in them :)

Dave

You could try shooting in black and white ????

Get some great effects

Last edited:
What do you guys tend to take photographs of when there are no clouds in the sky, seems my seascape pics always seem lacking when its just an empty space above. Finding I am losing some inspiration and becoming frustrated as I seek to better myself ..
Perhaps your approach is wrong. What's this compulsion to take photographs, followed by disappointment, all about? What are you aiming to 'take'? A 'thing'? An idea?

Photography at root is the recording of light. You can seek the light or make the light, but otherwise the camera can stay in its bag. Quell the compulsion, and seek your own vision.

Regards
Paul

What time of day are you shooting?

If the sky is empty, that should mean there is light. If you are shooting at the right time of the day that light is what you want to capitalise on.

Light interacting with the subject makes the photo.

I don't let boring skies put me off. If I'm getting up at 4am to go shoot a sunset and there are no clouds about, I keep a store of sky images that I've previously shot and layer them in. May be cheating slightly, but if i'm getting up that early then I want something to show for it.

I don't let boring skies put me off. If I'm getting up at 4am to go shoot a sunset and there are no clouds about, I keep a store of sky images that I've previously shot and layer them in. May be cheating slightly, but if i'm getting up that early then I want something to show for it.
If you're getting up at 4.00 for a sunset, I'm not surprised you're disappointed. :p

LOL, thought I had gone on the wrong forum, cant imagine anybody in the UK complaining about not enough cloud:)

LOL, thought I had gone on the wrong forum, cant imagine anybody in the UK complaining about not enough cloud:)
The proble is 'too much cloud' most often. Overcast skies blow out completely and look awful generally

I think it has been covered already but if there is no interest in the sky, dont shoot it, it is as simple as that. You cant force a shot to work for you. Either put the camera away or try and find a subject that works.

I think it has been covered already but if there is no interest in the sky, dont shoot it, it is as simple as that.
Or look at some of the work by different photographers and see what they do - Michael Kenna for example. You don't have to produce the same images as the magazines suggest.

Reactions: 33L
Or look at some of the work by different photographers and see what they do - Michael Kenna for example. You don't have to produce the same images as the magazines suggest.

This holds a lot of merit, don't imitate, innovate.

Have you tried framing the shot somehow? For example, shooting through gaps in trees or having branches hanging overhead, finding gaps in railings or walls, etc. If you do a Google image search on framing shots naturally you will get the idea

Go out on an interestingly cloudy day and shoot some sky photo's. Add them to whatever scene you want, whenever you want!

Some people might actually do this, but I meant it as a joke.

Regards
Paul

At risk of being flippant... If you don't like seascapes with no clouds... then stop taking them when there are no clouds.

Back