End of race Portrait

Edit My Images
No
Any thoughts - please be honest

POWYs025a.jpg

Original Image

I think its a great portrait with superb eye contact...I can feel her exhaustion too!

Marianne said:
as I typed I thought.......nah......oh well....... :doh:

:cool:

BTW - I've only just joined this forum and your web site was the first I visited - I can state :thumb:

wow thank you, its the first site I have built since learning dreamweaver in 2003, I put a guestbook on it ;) I only joined here a couple of days ago and I am enjoying this site so far....

Marianne said:
wow thank you, its the first site I have built since learning dreamweaver in 2003, I put a guestbook on it ;) I only joined here a couple of days ago and I am enjoying this site so far....

The guest book doesn't seem to work, but this one is brilliant:

be3.jpg

Hope you don't mind me posting it :)

Its a great shot rhodopsin.
Great eye contact.

It needs a little work to make it pop.

Original

POWYs025a.jpg

Processed
rhodopsinL.jpg

Here's what I've done, (this is the way I process most of my images for the web).

When all other editting is finished:
Goto Image> Mode> Lab colour
In the layers palette select the channels tab, select the Lightness channel.

Now apply the USM(unsharp mask) filter, by selecting Filter> Sharpen> Unsharp mask.
I use the following settings:
Amount: 100, Radius: 0.2, Threshold: 0
I apply this upto 5 times, or until I see halo's appearing, then back pedal.

Now convert back to RGB, Image> Mode> RGB colour.

You can also apply a large radius USM to the image at the final stage.
Settings: Amount: 20, Radius: 30, Threshold: 0

As you can see, an extra minute in PS can make a big difference to the final image.

HTH

Matt

Matt said:
Its a great shot rhodopsin.
Great eye contact.

It needs a little work to make it pop.

Original

POWYs025a.jpg

Processed
rhodopsinL.jpg

Here's what I've done, (this is the way I process most of my images for the web).

When all other editting is finished:
Goto Image> Mode> Lab colour
In the layers palette select the channels tab, select the Lightness channel.

Now apply the USM(unsharp mask) filter, by selecting Filter> Sharpen> Unsharp mask.
I use the following settings:
Amount: 100, Radius: 0.2, Threshold: 0
I apply this upto 5 times, or until I see halo's appearing, then back pedal.

Now convert back to RGB, Image> Mode> RGB colour.

You can also apply a large radius USM to the image at the final stage.
Settings: Amount: 20, Radius: 30, Threshold: 0

As you can see, an extra minute in PS can make a big difference to the final image.

HTH

Matt

Cheers, I'll give this a go on the original :)

Matt said:
...... then back pedal.

Do you think the subject influenced your wording ;)

BTW your process for unsharp mask, is that to minimise noise over generic use of the tool ?

No, Its quicker to step back from a slight over sharpening than to go through the whole process again.

DJW said:
Do you think the subject influenced your wording ;)

BTW your process for unsharp mask, is that to minimise noise over generic use of the tool ?

:doh:

Good shot - good expression, but I think there's a bit too much fill there - overflashed as we say. Next time try using 1/3 or 2/3 less output. Flash should provide fill, but not be obvious as it is in this case.

The reason for using USM on the lightness channel only is to prevent (amongst other things) the colour fringing you get along sharp edges by applying USM to the whole image.

PS: I did the junior Paris-Roubaix back in 1979 and it wasn't mud we were caked in...

its a good shot, and Matts post processing really makes a difference to it!

Great shot. I can't add much beyond saying I'd usually shoot a portrait in vertical format, but hey - I wasn't there. That shattered look takes me back. Our club mentor used to say if you didn't fall off the bike at the end of a time trial you hadn't tried hard enough. :(

Wow what a difference that does make - noted that process! :)

CT said:
Great shot. I can't add much beyond saying I'd usually shoot a portrait in vertical format, but hey - I wasn't there. That shattered look takes me back. Our club mentor used to say if you didn't fall off the bike at the end of a time trial you hadn't tried hard enough. :(

I did, see below:

Original

Modified

hi
can i just ask, is the method used for fleshtones only, or what else would you use it for??

great picture bye the way.

stevannie

I do all my sharpening like this and switch off in-camera sharpening completely.
I can the apply as much or as little as required.

Back