enlargers

Name
Two Dogs....
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm well on my way on getting a darkroom setup and have everything that I need on its way or already here. Thr thing is that I narrowly missed out on getting an enlarger for nothing. Whilst this wasn't something I had initially considered, it was attractive for the time I thought I was going to do it. After this close call, I think it would be interesting to give it a try. Does anyone here have any opinions? Is it very expensive?
I understand that colour developers can be better because of the colou control that is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'm well on my way on getting a darkroom setup and have everything that I need on its way or already here. Thr thing is that I narrowly missed out on getting an enlarger for nothing. Whilst this wasn't something I had initially considered, it was attractive for the time I thought I was going to do it. After this close call, I think it would be interesting to give it a try. Does anyone here have any opinions? Is it very expensive?
I understand that colour developers can be better because of the colou control that is possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'd tend to buy something like a Durst or an LPL both with good build quility, having said that though the lens is the most important thing to spend money on. A colour head will allow you to use multigrade paper by using the yellow and magenta dials to control the contrast level ( CYAN isn't used/needed).
One with a swing red filter helps (as someone mentioned in another thread you started) and a lens with a stop down and "open up" lever for focusing is great. It can start to get pricey once you want to print to large sizes.

I'd start with 5x7 to begin with and once your darkroom skills are good and consistent move on to 8x10 then take the plunge onto 12x16 or even 16x20 but that start to get hard to wash!

A condenser type will give you the best results but your negs have to be really ultra clean.

I wouldn't touch colour until you've mastered the art of B&W

(Incidently i have a defuser one for sale :) ).

Wow! You've been dishing out all the good advice to me recently chivers! Cheers! The enlaarger is currently on hold till I get my head around what film camera I want to use. Once that is sorted, I'm going to use my little developing tank and start with negs and a scanner. Depending on how I get on with that, I'll see about the enlarger.

Back