Entry Level Pro Camcorder Advice

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm currently trawling the net looking for a decent entry level camcorder that's 2nd hand and for the right money (around £800 max).

I'm after one that looks the business, produces good sound, is HD and is shoulder mounted (although this isn't an absolute must).

I've resigned myself to the fact that on my budget I'm looking at digital tape format.

Any suggestions?

I am seriously considering the Sony HVR-HD1000E..... anyone with any input?

.....and is there anything I need to look out for condition wise e.g. what are the acceptable levels of use re: hours etc?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Can anyone also shed any light on how big a deal it is to process the files that come off the back of the tapes?

I've done a fair bit of video editing and production with smaller SD based units and it's quite straight forward.

Do the files behave the same once I have transferred them from the tape(s) on to a PC etc?

you log and capture in real time (ie LOTS of sitting around incredibly bored).. It's the same as with SD, you use the same miniDV tape cassettes even.

That camera will, also, make you want to smash it to pieces around your own head.

I get that you're after in part, a 'big camera' appearance... but my word that camera is just absolutely atrocious. It records in the antiquated HDV format, has the world's slowest zoom OR focus (yes, you have to choose which you want to be on the ring on the lens), both by-wire....and those are just some of its better features.

What sort of work do you want to be doing? There will be better solutions.

Last edited:
Can anyone also shed any light on how big a deal it is to process the files that come off the back of the tapes?

I've done a fair bit of video editing and production with smaller SD based units and it's quite straight forward.

Do the files behave the same once I have transferred them from the tape(s) on to a PC etc?

There's no concept of files on the tape, just timecoded digital video.

You need to capture the digital video to a file (using Firewire or similar). Most people create one file, with added logging notes, and then edit from that.

Thanks for coming back to me.

@itsdavedotnet thanks for the input, I'm after a better camera really but like the idea of it being shoulder mounted for stability/mobility- but it isn't an absolute must. I'm looking do a few weddings, family occasions and other bits and bobs with it. I want HD, professional(ish) spec and good sound..... any ideas as to other solutions?

@st599 thanks for the info, so even if I record 60 mins of footage but in 15x 4 minute scenes the file will output to my PC in 1x 60 minute continuous file?

I've used the Sony HVR-HD1000E and it is shockingly awful, I would not recommend it to anyone. It might look big but it is certainly not what I would call a professional camera. With your budget I think the new Canon Legria HF G25 or the Legria HF G10 it replaces is probably as good as you will get.

Christ on a bike is it that bad?!?!.... I think I am sufficiently put off now.

Had a look at the Canon and whilst I appreciate it's a good unit it's not disimilar to the panasonics I've already got. I know it's a bit false but I am after a unit with that bit more presence.

Primarily it seems to be Sony's that are kicking about on ebay, anyone any thoughts on the HVR-Z1E (which I've used on a project but never saw the end results) and the HVR-A1E?

Again if either of these are any good is there anything to look out for 2nd hand re: useage?

Thanks again

If you can get your hands on a Sony Z7E with the memory card recorder that is a nice camera to use but don't forget that it is old technology (HDV). I've not used the Z1E but I have used the V1E and its not bad for HDV but it isn't good in poor light. I personally would stay away from HDV, using tapes is so 90's!

Why is it important what the camera looks like? Surely the output is more important?

Yes the output is more important. I just had liked the idea of something already having an external mic and it looking the "main" camera, as opposed to my smaller panasonics.

I've just done a bit of digging re the tapes too and if I'm correct it will bascially pull the whole footage as one file onto a PC, it won't organise it into seperate files based on the seperate scenes I've filmed............ I don't think I could take this step backwards as I'm used to the SD formats.

Back to the drawing board

Thanks for coming back to me.

@itsdavedotnet thanks for the input, I'm after a better camera really but like the idea of it being shoulder mounted for stability/mobility- but it isn't an absolute must. I'm looking do a few weddings, family occasions and other bits and bobs with it. I want HD, professional(ish) spec and good sound..... any ideas as to other solutions?

@st599 thanks for the info, so even if I record 60 mins of footage but in 15x 4 minute scenes the file will output to my PC in 1x 60 minute continuous file?

If you press stop and play on the deck 4 times, you'll get 4 files. Transfer is realtime.

Most users bring it in as one file, adding markers as you go. Providing you're 3 point editing, it's not bad.

Quite a lot of places combine all their files into one sequence and still edit this way.

Get the hfg10 a l shaped camera bracket with shoe mount, put rode on it with and there you have a presence. Maybe light and zoom h1 on the rig. No need for a big camera presence or do the same with a canon 60d matte box and rails for similar price

I'm blind, sorry lolage.

http://www.icedsoul.de/2012/11/gear-review-sony-hdr-cx730/ I was blown away by the optical stabilisation on this camera. It's the same as the sony NX30, but comes without the XLR block - but for a lot less money. You can genuinely handhold this camera, and it can still have a separate top mic. The pictures will certainly be better than the HD1000E too.

A Sony Z1 is a bit antiquated, and you'll still have to log and capture from tape - but it does what it does.

SLR cameras that shoot HD video are an option - but less ideal for most reportage uses really.

Sub-1K your options are kinda limited really :( So there isn't really much of an answer I'm afraid! But whatever you do - the HD1000E is really painful to use!

I'd argue that your minimum spec professional camera to work as a general allround camera commercially at the moment is a Sony EX1 - which tend to go for around 3k second hand. Less ideal!

I'm blind, sorry lolage.

http://www.icedsoul.de/2012/11/gear-review-sony-hdr-cx730/ I was blown away by the optical stabilisation on this camera. It's the same as the sony NX30, but comes without the XLR block - but for a lot less money. You can genuinely handhold this camera, and it can still have a separate top mic. The pictures will certainly be better than the HD1000E too.

A Sony Z1 is a bit antiquated, and you'll still have to log and capture from tape - but it does what it does.

SLR cameras that shoot HD video are an option - but less ideal for most reportage uses really.

Sub-1K your options are kinda limited really :( So there isn't really much of an answer I'm afraid! But whatever you do - the HD1000E is really painful to use!

I'd argue that your minimum spec professional camera to work as a general allround camera commercially at the moment is a Sony EX1 - which tend to go for around 3k second hand. Less ideal!

How about the XF100?

A Z1 isn't too bad. It was a mainstay of current affairs for a ling time, but it is tape.

xf100's a great camera too, yep, - though lacks the great image stabilisation of the sony CX730/NX30/NX50

Get the hfg10 a l shaped camera bracket with shoe mount, put rode on it with and there you have a presence. Maybe light and zoom h1 on the rig. No need for a big camera presence or do the same with a canon 60d matte box and rails for similar price

I like the idea of using a DSLR as I have a Nikon D7000 knocking about and a road mic..... what's the matte box and rails thing all about.

I've also looked at a frame to make a non shoulder mounted unit into a should mounted unit..... can anyone point me in the right direction for one that doesn't seem to be unfeasibly expensive?

Have you thought about something like this:

www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-legria-hf-g10-black-high-definition-camcorder/p1523565

After shooting a wedding, I wouldn't want to really look after a DSLR in one again... not if I could help it.

A professional camcorder is too expensive and the ones in a decent price range are too outdated.

What you want is something that has a good picture, plenty of manual control including focus, good zoom and an audio out and in.

...also are you afraid people won't really take you seriously is you turn up without huge equipment or not really???

For what it's worth if I was shooting weddings for money, I'd definitely have this or similar :)

Yep that's what I said, hfg10 s are very very good. I have two and use two 60d dslr also. I am using the dslr more because I like the look. With the dslr I use follow focus, matte box for the front like a shade, z-finder, it all adds up to a lot of money so he would be better going for the hfg10 or bigger brother xa-10 the one down from xf-100

what's the image stabilisation on the hfg10 like? on the sony that I linked above, it's *incredible*

Back