Entry level V full frame e.g. Canon 400D v 5D MKII

Edit My Images
No
I know.... it's not fair comparing what was a £500 camera against one four times the price!!! However....

I'm sure we could read through the specs of the two machines and list the differences - frame rate, low light abilities, metallic body, full frame etc.

However, as an owner of a 400D and not having access to a more expensive camera, I was wondering if anyone has run experiments where by you've taken the same shot with the cheaper camera, and then repeated the shot with the expensive one. So what I'm after are two images produced from the said experiment just so that I can see the difference!

Obviously this experiment doesn't have to be restricted to Canon, Nikon, Sony etc would do!

Cheers.

TeaVR

I think that there are some comparative pictures between 400d and 50d in the 50d owners thread.
Makes me want to go 50d

It's all in the photo in the end, beside the spec, there is something about the 5D which is just lovely. An aura that you don't get with a crop sensor.

It's all in the photo in the end, beside the spec, there is something about the 5D which is just lovely. An aura that you don't get with a crop sensor.

Now stop this - I'm being tempted towards a 5D :)

I want to SEE the difference. Any comparison shots anyone?

Go on you know you want a 5D.

Now look into my eyes ,not around my eyes, into my eyes... You are feeling sleepy.....say after me ....5D 5D 5D

Go on you know you want a 5D.

Now look into my eyes ,not around my eyes, into my eyes... You are feeling sleepy.....say after me ....5D 5D 5D

:)

Look into my eyes... you will help the poor chap finance a 5D..... you are feeling very generous..... you feel like writing a cheque......... yes, that's it..... £2000 ;-)

I had the same choice moving from my old 400D to something new, I do portraits and weddings so ISO performance was important. I managed to stretch to the 5Dmk2 and got the Canon 24-70 f2.8 lens and I have to say the improvement is simply breathtaking.

I think its worth the money if you are going to make money from your photography, if not, then maybe the 50D is more your thing.

Just rememeber, the glass on the front is overall more important and if you put a naff lens on a 5Dmk2 you really wont make the best of what the camera can do.

I'd make the choice again as I dont regret buying it at all. The colours, the IQ, the screen on the back all of it is just perfect ;)

You could pick up an old 5D for the same price as a new 50D though.

That's the kind of talk that wants to make me do a double blind experiment...

I used to have a 20D until I did a course and the pro teaching was using a 5D. We shot the same model with the same lighting one after the other, same settings on the cameras. I saw the results just as you describe. Side by side on a big screen, no PPing. I bought a 5D the next week. :)

You could take your memory card into your local camera shop and take the same image, same lens and use a different body and take the card home and compare :)

I used to have a 20D until I did a course and the pro teaching was using a 5D. We shot the same model with the same lighting one after the other, same settings on the cameras. I saw the results just as you describe. Side by side on a big screen, no PPing. I bought a 5D the next week. :)

You can't compare a 20D v a 5D in one situation, say low light, when you're not comparing shots in other types of photographic situations. The 20D would knock socks off the 5D for action photography, but then again the 1D MKii knocks spots off the 20D for action photography and has good ISO performance on par with the 5D. It really depends what you what to take photo's of and how much do you want to spend. Each camera will have it's limitations.

Peter

Whilst I have not used a 5Dmkii, I do have a 400D, and I have used it for 2+ years now.

I am only starting to find its limitations now, but I can honestly see myself still using it in 2 years time. More than ever I am happier with the results I am getting, which is purely down to me, not my gear. What I don't know I can't miss hey? ;)

You can't compare a 20D v a 5D in one situation, say low light, when you're not comparing shots in other types of photographic situations.
Peter

Oh I can Peter, quite happily. I don't shoot sports, aircraft, wildlife or motorsports. I shoot people and the occasional building and landscape.
So I'm more than happy to compare and I even base my buying decisions on what I actually need, there's a novelty ;)

Oh I can Peter, quite happily. I don't shoot sports, aircraft, wildlife or motorsports. I shoot people and the occasional building and landscape.
So I'm more than happy to compare and I even base my buying decisions on what I actually need, there's a novelty ;)

i think he was getting at general overall differences between the cameras, rather than specifically for one persons use!

i dont use canon but under studio lighting, all crops (to an extent) will give similar results. from what ive seen full frame just looks better!

i think he was getting at general overall differences between the cameras, rather than specifically for one persons use!

That's exactly my point Jamie, I don't buy a camera for general overall differences and neither should anyone else. Buy what fits your photography (and of course budget) best and sometimes that may even mean buying 2nd hand but better suited to what you do. Start with the subject, write down what features actually matter to you and then see what fits your criteria. That's always been my advice.

Back