EOS 400D + Nifty Fifty for noob

badronald

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I think I may have to take the plunge and get a DSLR.
Would the EOS 400D + the Nifty Fifty lens be a good start for general pics e.g days out , family , a few landscapes and buildings. ?
Cheers all

It would be okay for portarits and people - but a zoom would be more versatile for day-to-day stuff. The 18-55 kit lens is a good way to start, or if you wanted to step up a little from the word go, perhaps the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro.

I am a noob and just got a 400d with the kit lens and bought a nifty. So far I am pleased with the results the kit lens gives (it's good enough) and the nifty is quite amazing for the price. The two will do me for now while I learn the craft and decide what length of zoom I need at the far end.

I had the same dilemma a while back.

Went for the 400d and sigma 17-70. Excellent start lens and very capable. Then, for a bit more oomf i got the sigma 70-300. I have actually used the 70 300 more as for some reason i just cant get to grips with the 17-70. I may have a soft one.

Anways, take a look at my flickr site as these were all taken with mainly the 70-300 and 17-70 (the macro work was a msn202 lens)

www.flickr.com/photos/23064358@N02/

You wont be disapointed with either lens.

I started out with a D80 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens. Tis a great combo, an old school efefctive 50mm prime.

I think it taught me a lot about composition early on. (though it's still early for me) The lack of zoom meant I wasn't afraid to move my feet if needed, crouch down, lie in the mud etc. Now I've got my first zoom lens I find that the zoom simply adds to my movement and does not replace it.

If you're happy to go prime then anything around the 25-35mm raqnge would end up aorund 50mm effective due to crop factor.

Back