EOS 40D Firmware Update

Edit My Images
Yes
Should I be updating?

I didn't know anything about this till I just read one of the for sale ads on here.

Thanks.

Lisa

Latest firmware for the 40D is 1.1.1 which I've installed on mine but If you have no problems it isn't compulsory but on the other hand it won't hurt either
It's very easy to do if you follow the instructions.

A list of updates is here-

http://www.dcviews.com/press/canon-40d-1.1.1.htm

Up to you really :)

and if it goes wrong ...... , personally i wouldnt unless there was a very good reason to do it , my opinion only of course :)

It is stronglly advised by canon and there dealers to upgrade to the latest firmware as soon as possible. It really is dead easy and nothing to be frightened of!!

Look at another way my pc is on xp sp3 if I didnt download and install upgrades it would be on sp1 and half the new software wouldnt work correctly!!

Its a no brainer really!!

All my software works with it so i'm staying put, mind you i have no idea what version i have!! :d Better go look......1.0.8 hmmmm is it worth it???

I have just looked on the link above and the updates don't affect anything i do so i'm leaving well alone :D

i downloaded latest from canon and updated with no problems, can't really see a reason not to keep it updated just like any other software

All my software works with it so i'm staying put, mind you i have no idea what version i have!! :d Better go look......1.0.8 hmmmm is it worth it???

I have just looked on the link above and the updates don't affect anything i do so i'm leaving well alone :D

So when you take your car for a service and the engine is running okay... you tell them not to touch it??? And when you turn your computer off it lists updates... you ignor them as well??? :bang:

Don't be silly!:D There is a world of difference between car servicing and software.

and yes i update my PC If i need the update depending on what it is.

I have four EOS cameras and have always updated the firmware on each of them within a day or so of release. I've never had a problem and I really don't see why on earth I would. It's a closed system - both hardware and software by Canon. Why would the latest firmware not work? It's not like you might install loads of dodgy software, or viruses, or delete critical system files.

Don't be silly!:D There is a world of difference between car servicing and software.

and yes i update my PC If i need the update depending on what it is.

Rather off topic but you do not know how wrong you are!!

For my sins I am a garage proprieter and you would be amazed at how much software there is in a modern car!!

Far from being a world of difference this is a daily occurence in the motor trade!!

It is stronglly advised by canon and there dealers to upgrade to the latest firmware as soon as possible. It really is dead easy and nothing to be frightened of!!

Look at another way my pc is on xp sp3 if I didnt download and install upgrades it would be on sp1 and half the new software wouldnt work correctly!!

Its a no brainer really!!

Maybe, but there were plenty of probs installing SP2. I had to try it 3 times before the bugger would work, and hours of fun it was not.

I'd say if you are not going to benefit from the release and the camera works fine, then why change it? If it's to fix an issue or gain en extra feature then go for it. And that is for the individual to decide...

Back