EOS Dilemma

grumpybadger

Alan Rickman
Name
Paul Beastall
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, I have a bit of a quandry. It's a nice one to have, but it is there all the same. I currently have 2x 1D Mk II and love the fact they are interchangable. However, I do find the 1.3 crop and the lack of pixels means it is difficult to take photos of very small or distant subjects (this is sparked by trying hares this week and failing miserably)

I generally take wildlife with the odd landscape. Lenses are 17-40, 24-105, 70-200, 300 and 500.

I see five options:

Option 1. Swap 1 of my 1D Mk II for a new 1D Mk III. Different batteries but better noise, better AF (hopefully!), better resolution. Cost ~£1500

Option 2. Swap 1 of my 1D Mk II for a used 1DS Mk II. Same batteries, same noise, same AF, much better resolution, full frame. Cost ~£1200 by also selling my 17-40 and using the wider FoV on the full frame.

Option 3. Stick with the pair of 1D Mk IIs as a pair that work well and I know well but also buy a 40D for the odd time when I long for more reach or a smaller camera. Would certainly help with smaller subjects, is a bit better than the 1D in low light I reckon, is worse for AF but I still have the 1D's. Big problem may be swapping UI, which is why I may want a pair. Cost ~£520

Option 4. Sell both 1D Mk IIs and replace with 40D and get a 10-22 for the wide end. Cost about £0 by time stocked up on batteries, grips etc.

Option 5. Stick with what I have and quit whinging.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

If it was me, I'd go with 3 or 5. :D

From what I've heard of the capabilities of the 40D, I'd be tempted with that option... It will take you 2 days at the most to get used to the UI change:) Option 4. What you'll gain is far more than what you'd lose out on.

Can I also insert the obligatory "Sell everything, and buy Nikon" comment here? ;)

Personally I would go with 2 or 5. Having a 1DS2 to go along with a 1D2 makes alot of sense. But I would say if you were going with this option, either don't sell the 17-40 or replace it with something that is better.

You could just stick with what you have and practice on the things you don't currently do well. That may be the better option.

I'd go with 3 or 5 as well, I have a 10 d 20d and 5d and really like the extra that a 40d would give me, just trying to decide whether I really need to buy another camera, of course I'd sell one maybe even both of my other 10d / 20d.:shrug:(y)

You're at the same crossroads I was at Paul, and I think you know which way I went.

The cheapest and least damaging option (f you make a mistake) is just to buy a 40D I would think - it's an absolute bargain now.

I drove myself daft counting pixels and doing file comparisons to be absolutely sure, but the simple fact is there are only two Canon cameras if you want to maximise the reach of your long lenses.

The 40D which is a clear winner.

The 1DSMK3 which pushes it a close second and would be an excellent all rounder - but at a price, and for me that price was better spent elsewhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This is a very tricky situation. The 1Ds option would be nice , but the most expensive of them all. The other point is would the extra file size of the 40D plus it's FOV be sufficient for your requirements.

An option may be to use a 1.4x converter. OK some small image quality loss, but it may be better than you other options. Plus you should still retain AF with your longer lenses.

In a situation like this I tend to simply mull it over for a while. Stops me making the mistake of buying the wrong kit ( well most of the time)

Hmm. 40D does seem to be the "safest" option and I know Cedric is very happy. I just can't get the yearning for a 1Ds out of my system. Its still as good a camera as it was a year ago and they are getting cheap now. I've found a couple of tatty ones that work well - seems my ideal option since condition is reflected in the price.

Think I'm off to see it on Monday and I'll decide then. There could be a 1D MK II up for sale next week...

800mm lens is an option but too pricey. I can get 700 f/5.6 out of the 500 and a 1.4x anyway.

Still pondering...

Paul

Another thing which bugged me a lot was the prospect of losing AF with the 2X TC if I sold the 1DMK2n.

However, having done a very stringent comparison test with the 1D and the 40D, I found that the 40D and 1.4 TC produced the same size 1:1 ( main subject) image on the sensor as the 1DMK2n using the 2XTC. In actual fact the 40D image was very slightly larger, but not enough to be really significant - to all intents and purposes they were the same.

Bit of a shocker tbh, so the 2XTC AF advantage pales into insignificance, and no more losing 2 whole stops exposure, plus losing the more obvious image degradation which the 2XTC means.

The 'reach' with the 2XTC on the 40D is phenomenal, albeit MF, but is there when needed.

I would either buy a 1dsmk3 or 40d, wouldn't go with the 1dsmk2 for what you want to do with it, its also a step back in the noise stakes. I'm in love with 1dsmk3, but my 1dmk2n's still get used the most. the 40d produces superb images and like the 1dsmk3 with digic 3 superb rendition of detail and tone.

cost effective option buy a 40d if you like what you see / get all good, if you dont sell it and go the 1dsmk3 route.

There is some good options and advice above but I think you would get the best results per £ spent investing in information and equipment that will allow you to get closer, the key is to get within the "fear circle of the animal/bird" so that you are able to use shorter lenses - if you already have a 500mm (f4.5 f4?) then you have a good reach, time spent on field craft may be the best answer in the end

Another thing which bugged me a lot was the prospect of losing AF with the 2X TC if I sold the 1DMK2n.

However, having done a very stringent comparison test with the 1D and the 40D, I found that the 40D and 1.4 TC produced the same size 1:1 ( main subject) image on the sensor as the 1DMK2n using the 2XTC. In actual fact the 40D image was very slightly larger, but not enough to be really significant - to all intents and purposes they were the same.

Bit of a shocker tbh, so the 2XTC AF advantage pales into insignificance, and no more losing 2 whole stops exposure, plus losing the more obvious image degradation which the 2XTC means.

The 'reach' with the 2XTC on the 40D is phenomenal, albeit MF, but is there when needed.

A very good point Cedric thanks.

I would either buy a 1dsmk3 or 40d, wouldn't go with the 1dsmk2 for what you want to do with it, its also a step back in the noise stakes. I'm in love with 1dsmk3, but my 1dmk2n's still get used the most. the 40d produces superb images and like the 1dsmk3 with digic 3 superb rendition of detail and tone.

cost effective option buy a 40d if you like what you see / get all good, if you dont sell it and go the 1dsmk3 route.

Probably good advice Mark. I have been very impressed with the 40D image quality.

There is some good options and advice above but I think you would get the best results per £ spent investing in information and equipment that will allow you to get closer, the key is to get within the "fear circle of the animal/bird" so that you are able to use shorter lenses - if you already have a 500mm (f4.5 f4?) then you have a good reach, time spent on field craft may be the best answer in the end

Very good advice. Certainly worth investigating. Not sure where to start really. This has all come from trying to get a good picture of a hare and they seem to spend their time in the middle of fields...

The getting closer option only really holds true with larger critters where you can fill the frame more on the larger sensor. There's a huge difference between Andy Rouse photographing Grizzlies in Alaska and me trying to fill the frame with a Long Tail Tit.

I've been able to get within 5 or 6 feet of birds at one location for quite some time now using the 70-200 2.8 or the 100-400L, but the truth is that months ago I stopped using the 1D even at that location in favour of the 20D which was producing noticeably larger images in the 1:1 files. The 40D has moved the goalposts even further.

At most wildlife reserves just how close you can get to the wildlife is strictly controlled by positioning of hides anyway, and you can never get close enough. Pros like Andy are licensed to go much closer to wild critters than we are, and let's be honest all doors are open to him which are firmly shut to most of us.

Most of us have a finite amount of time to devote to it anyway, and having the right tools for the job is most likely to bring the results.

. I just can't get the yearning for a 1Ds out of my system. Its still as good a camera as it was a year ago and they are getting cheap now. I've found a couple of tatty ones that work well - seems my ideal option since condition is reflected in the price.

Think I'm off to see it on Monday and I'll decide then. There could be a 1D MK II up for sale next week...

Yep - But aren't the 1ds Mark II's such good value at the mo :)

OK. I've order a 1DsII. Got what I think is a good price. I've hankered after one since they were launched and so I think it is a good choice. I now have the 1Ds II for regular photography (full frame helps a luddite like me - I loved the 5D but couldn't cope with swapping interfaces between that and the 1D in a hurry) and the 1D II for high speed stuff. Reckon the normal use will be 500 or 24-105 on the 1Ds and 70-200 or 300 on the 1D.

So, once I've got all the bits together, there'll be a 1D Mk II and a 17-40L offered up for sale...

Paul

OK. I've order a 1DsII. Got what I think is a good price. I've hankered after one since they were launched and so I think it is a good choice. I now have the 1Ds II for regular photography (full frame helps a luddite like me - I loved the 5D but couldn't cope with swapping interfaces between that and the 1D in a hurry) and the 1D II for high speed stuff. Reckon the normal use will be 500 or 24-105 on the 1Ds and 70-200 or 300 on the 1D.

So, once I've got all the bits together, there'll be a 1D Mk II and a 17-40L offered up for sale...

Paul

Good choice-I've had my 1Ds MKII for 3 years, and it's still up there with the best.

Back