Epsom Downs Grandstand

ppp

Edit My Images
Yes
Two different crops and styles from the same original picture, first real outing with the camera in which i took the kite pic in the other post. Your thoughts and comments always welcome.

grandstand1.jpg

Flash used: No
Focal length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Exposure time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
Aperture: f/4.5
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix

Cropped, sharpened and saturation tweak

grandstand2.jpg

Flash used: No
Focal length: 70.0mm (35mm equivalent: 105mm)
Exposure time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
Aperture: f/4.5
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix

Cropped, sharpened, and desaturated

For some reason the first shot seems to look like it has a green cast to it, especially when comparred to your kite shot from the same series, as you had it on auto white balance and there is a lot of green in the shot I would expect it to do a decent job so I can only presume it is due to something during the post procesing?

The second crop is much stronger anyway but I would have allowed just a little more sky to keep the clounds in the shot and offer some detail in that section of the picture. It could be made to be even stronger if you add a second layer and make the sky slightly darker ;)

The second shot is good and I am sure that everyone will be praising you on that :)

Both from the original photo which was taken later in the day slightly towards a lower evening sun and I think that caused the difference in light to the kite which was taken earlier with a much brighter light, the green cast was one reason to try it B+W and i much prefer the second shot, will have a play with a crop with more sky.

Thanks for your input Steve :)

grandstand1-1.jpg

Tried a red filter in PS to try and remove some of the cast, don't really know if its worked to the better or worse, think it's probably a slight improvement.

You can get this effect by shooting in the same direction of the sun or another bright light source, so that would explain it :)

You can also correct the shot easily enough in PSP or Photoshop by adjusting the hue settings. in Photoshop you can do either by having the master setting selected and adjusting the overall hue or if you want more control, you can alter the master to any of the colour channels and adjust those independently :)

HTH

EDIT you posted while I was typing this out, it's better but I think there is still room for more adjustment :)

I agree with Steve - The B & W is excellent but could do witha little bit more sky. The other quick fix for colour cast is to use the "white" dropper in "Levels" this can give varying changes as you hunt the highlights. I find this is better that trying to judge a mid-tone in a colour image.

Cool will have a play with that, thanks.

Back