Epson 1400 - thirsty and gone?

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering an inexpensive A3+ printer. The obvious choice by kudos is Epson 1400. However, two things bug me:
  1. I cannot find this machine on the Epson website. So is it discontinued?
  2. One review claimed it was extremely thirsty, so will future ink bills make this machine a false economy?

Of course the Canon IX6550 is a contender. It has good reviews. I already have a Canon IP5000 (A4) which when it was launched had rave reviews about its high quality photos, and in the beginning it delivered. But recently there has been a severe dropping off of quality and I wonder if by looking at Canon again I will be let down in a couple of years?

Grateful for your thoughts!

B

I am considering an inexpensive A3+ printer. The obvious choice by kudos is Epson 1400.
  1. I cannot find this machine on the Epson website. So is it discontinued?
  2. One review claimed it was extremely thirsty, so will future ink bills make this machine a false economy?
B

or even print through a lab ....cheaper and better

The R1400 is no longer available.

I use a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 with Cityink refillable carts, fantastic colour and fantastic print.

Some will disagree but mine does a fantastic job.

It's not so much that it's thirsty, just that the cartridges are the same size as for an A4 printer and run out that much quicker. I fitted a ciss to mine shortly after buying it and have never been sorry I did.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this.

On the Epson site I can now see the 1400 listed under Large Format, but the selection buttons at the top of the page for paper size do not include A3+; they are all bigger. So I thought A3+ was not considered large format and didn't look any further. My fears were compounded as there is a different A3+ printer but it is in the Inkjet Printers category!

I think CIS is definitely the way to go. Budget is tight. I appreciate the Canon 9000 Pro is a superb printer, but I could probably only stretch to an ix6550 :(

B

or even print through a lab ....cheaper and better

LOL - it's what I am doing! But printouts take days, not minutes!:LOL:

Also I feel a bit of a cheat putting pics in for a compo when I haven't actually printed them myself. Perhaps the compromise is to get a job in a lab. Ha ha ha.

B

Well I suppose someone has to ;) but if you do have any independent labs near to you it would be worthwhile giving them a try.

Back