Beginner Equipment advice for my trip to Wales?

Name
Danny
Edit My Images
Yes
I am a keen amateur and I have a Nikon D3300 at the minute which I love. I am looking to get a camera bag and a tripod before I visit Wales just after Christmas - we will be staying near to the sea and the mountains. I am looking for a bit of advice on any lenses that would come in handy for the holiday as well as any advice on a good - and not too pricey - bag and tripod? Thanks in advance, Danny

I know we talk a bit funny west of the Severn Bridge, and our Rugby team is better, and our beer arguably worse, but seriously what exactly do you think you will need to take photographs in Wales that is different from that what you would need in England?

Lowepro flip side 400 is a great bag and has attachments for a tripod. Wide angle would be my suggestion for a lens. There's so many tripods, and it depends on budget and what you want ie portability, stability, height etc etc. If portability is key then I can recommend the velbon ultra rexi with something like the manfrotto 496rc2 head.

I am a keen amateur and I have a Nikon D3300 at the minute which I love. I am looking to get a camera bag and a tripod before I visit Wales just after Christmas - we will be staying near to the sea and the mountains. I am looking for a bit of advice on any lenses that would come in handy for the holiday as well as any advice on a good - and not too pricey - bag and tripod? Thanks in advance, Danny

A good book full of ideas for great locations perhaps ;-)

Simon

Hi Danny
I'm just a novice and only have limited kit. But I have been using the Nikon D3200 with kit 18-55mm lens and polariser for my trips to the lakes for most of the summer. If you want wider shots, I just shoot in portrait and stitch them together with Lightroom.
The advice given to me was, "If you don't know what lens you want, you don't need the lens" :)
For a Tripod, I bought the XCSource tripod from Amazon. Cheap as chips ;)
The only other thing I would add is a couple, or one ND filter.
I also have the Lowepro Rover Pro 35L AW backpack, which I love.
Hope this helps, enjoy your trip

I would say some filters, a cpl and maybe a 10 stop for long exposures (If that's your thing).. a wide angle if you feel the need, but the 18-55mm should suffice for general landscape.. Buy a decent tripod manfrotto or the like as buy cheap, buy twice comes to mind with tripods..

Again with bags, I always prefer a messenger bag as you can get everything out with it still attached to you.. backpacks need to be set down, sling bags like the slingshots just aren't great in my opinion..

Back