ERR 99 problems

lammypaul

Suspended / Banned
Name
paul
Edit My Images
No
hello all, just bought a canon eos 20d (off a member on this site) and i came to use it yesterday at cadwell park, i put a canon ef 500mm f4.5 lens on, took 3 or 4 shots and to my suprise ERR 99 appears on the display and the camera stops working.
i have had a few suggestions to stop the problem,eg remove battery,leave for 20 mins and try again,but no joy.:shrug:

just wondered if any one else has had this problem, and what they did to resolve it.
all suggestions greatly accepted, even the ones maybe telling me to find the nearest wheelie bin.

many thanks paul (y)

Sorry to hear that Paul, it could well be communication between the camera body and a 3rd party lens, was the battery fully charged?? i have heard of bodies playing up with other manufacturers lenses when the battery is going.
Dean:)

Make sure the contacts are clean on lens and camera. Use the eraser from the end of a pencil to clean them. If that doesn't work try a different lens and see if you get the error. If not then that points to the lens rather than the body. I had as similar problem with my 10D and a canon EF75-300 f4-5.6 III USM. The problem only occured when I tried to use an aperture smaller than maximum as the aperture blades had got stuck. Try setting a small aperture and using the depth of field preview to see if the lens will stop down.

Hey,
Just got myself teh ERR 99 last Saturday on my 1D MKII, tried all the options I found online and heard from people.
No luck in the end and had to take it in to the Canon repair shop... got a repair time a week later (reserved for tomorrow morning). So now just hoping the repair bill won't rise to £100's .....

Does your camera even turn on?? Mine just went 'dead' so I could not try anything like updating firmware or any such things...
My 'advice' is that if you don't get it to work with by tomorrow.. if you have a Canon repair place near by.. go and ask them and see if they can give you an estimate on how much it would cost to fix it!

cheers all for the suggestions,tried the cleaning contacts one, with a few canon lenses but no joy.

i place a fully charged battery in, and even before i switch it on it is clicking, the mirror is rising although i do not think the shutter is activating, if i switch the camera on and press the shutter button as well as pressing the flash pop up button i sometimes get it to light the display up and the lcd, but soon as i touch anything else it goes potty again just continually clicking the mirror etc, maybe i should emmerse into a bucket of water three times, and bring it out only twice.lol.

keep the suggestions coming, i have already phoned H LEHMAN ltd, and left details, hopefully they will be able to sort it out, they repaired an EOS1NHS some years ago for me, great service and very helpfull.

sorry to hear that you lot have also had problems.

many thanks paul

hello all, just bought a canon eos 20d (off this site) and i came to use it yesterday at cadwell park, i put a tokina 300mm f2.8 af lens on, took 3 or 4 shots and to my suprise ERR 99 appears on the display and the camera stops working.

Did you contact the seller about this? May be worth seeing if they can help you with this as you just bought it.
Allan

cheers allanm, yes have text and rung him, he was busy, but sent some ideas of what it might be. left him a message on his answer phone, but he has not been in touch yet.

cheers paul

Update; H. LEHMAN Ltd, have just rung me with a quote for a standard service on my canon 20d body, WOW £162 plus any parts needed, but they can give me a quote for work that needs doing if i post it to them, but will be at least £162 no matter what.
its sounds like a caution of do not buy second hand equipment without some form of warranty, word of mouth is not good enough.

cheers paul

Thats the problem with second hand stuff like this, the seller may sell in good faith, but equipment can develop a problem any time, so even if it was the most reliable camera in his ownership, there is no guarantee that it will stay like that. Of course there may have been a fault before, but only the original owner would know that. Or, it could have been damaged in transit ( was it insured for damage?)
I suppose, £162 for a service isnt bad, but it depends on how much you paid and how important the camera is to you.
I recently bought a car privately, it broke down after 11 miles, terminally. Cost me a fortune, but it went ok when I paid the cash, the buyer sold in good faith, just that I collected the bill!
Caveat Emptor and all that, but mostly you need to trust the buyer and keep your fingers crossed. Buying from a dealer will give you some peace of mind, but prices are generally higher to take that into account.

I feel for you, hope you get it sorted soon.

Allan

yes a1ex2001, but i have only just bought the 20d body off this site from a member,so buying a used 30d may be just as bad, well thats my theory now of buying off here, getting a bit like epay. pay ya money takes ya chance, none of this gentlemanly aggrements that when they say its only had 7000 shots and is working perfectly, before you got it, then bang it don't work its your problem now mate.

cheers paul

As someone who's worked on another forum, the first thing I picked up from this thread is that you didn't buy a camera from this site. You contacted someone on this site and bought a camera from them.

A forum can do little more than put people in touch and let them get on with it. I very much get the impression this is how you see it Paul but there may be less web savvy folks that come along and read the thread.

I do feel for you here, I had my 1d II suffer a terminal shutter failure just out of warranty and no more than 40/50k. Not alot for a 1 series.

Yours sounds like it may be mechanical and if something is a tad out of line then it's going to shut down as soon as you try to fire the shutter. It doesn't sound like you can make things much worse, so it might be worth taking off the lens and seeing if anything looks obviously out of line.

Not much help I know but while there's hope............. :shrug::(

Update; H. LEHMAN Ltd, have just rung me with a quote for a standard service on my canon 20d body, WOW £162 plus any parts needed, but they can give me a quote for work that needs doing if i post it to them, but will be at least £162 no matter what.
its sounds like a caution of do not buy second hand equipment without some form of warranty, word of mouth is not good enough.

cheers paul

you could try http://www.fixationuk.com/Fixation/Repairs.html
they will quote for free but the cost will be 130 + parts - i have used them a number of times

looking through some of the "other posts" it may well have been damaged in transit, as it looks like it did a tour of Britain on it's way to you, claiming from Royal mail may be the best option.

I had a brand new 20d - it broke down many times, and went back to canon several times before i just had enough, and got rid if it just after canon repaired it for the last time. I found them to be unreliable cameras even though it was brought from new....

I have used Lehmans for the exact same fault and it cost me £162 all in, and that included a replacement shutter assmebly.
Not too bad I suppose when you consider that once you get that done the camera is pretty much as good as new. And giving it a good service will do it the world of good.

I know nothing about Canon, therefore take this advice for what it cost.

The first time I used my 105 Macro on my Nikon D80 it came up with an error message - something similar to yours. The 80 (I think) needed to decide the aperture and until I moved the switch correctly I was in a state of panic.

The moral of my story is to check that everything is as it should be, then check it again.

Chris

This is a thread to discuss the error with the camera, NOT the details of the sale.

We are simply an intermediary, and while we will help where we can, we are simply a meeting point for two people to make a private sale / purchase.

Please keep any accusations and mudslinging off the forums. It really doesn't read well and certainly doesn't help anyone come to a private, amicable solution. It only sours things.

With regards to the ERR99, how can Lehmanns guarantee that £162 will definitely solve it, when ERR99 is a generic "We don't know what's wrong" error. It could be absolutely anything.

to all who have read these threads, i would like to state that when i wrote i had bought the camera off this site, i did not mean literally off this site.
i should have wrote from a person i contacted via this site.
so please except my appoligises for any misunderstanding of what i wrote.

many thanks paul

hello all, just bought a canon eos 20d (off a member on this site) and i came to use it yesterday at cadwell park, i put a canon ef 500mm f4.5 lens on, took 3 or 4 shots and to my suprise ERR 99 appears on the display and the camera stops working.
i have had a few suggestions to stop the problem,eg remove battery,leave for 20 mins and try again,but no joy.:shrug:

just wondered if any one else has had this problem, and what they did to resolve it.
all suggestions greatly accepted, even the ones maybe telling me to find the nearest wheelie bin.

many thanks paul (y)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammypaul
hello all, just bought a canon eos 20d (off this site) and i came to use it yesterday at cadwell park, i put a tokina 300mm f2.8 af lens on, took 3 or 4 shots and to my suprise ERR 99 appears on the display and the camera stops working.

Did you contact the seller about this? May be worth seeing if they can help you with this as you just bought it.
Allan

Why change the choice of lens used when the fault occured? :eek::nono:

to xxx. i remember that i had the 500mm on it,and when it started playing up i tried various others including a ef70-200, 28-135 and the tokina, as a chap i was stood with told me to try others to see, i also tried different cf cards, cleaned contacts on camera etc etc etc, but no joy.i also have altered that i did not buy it off this site, but a member i met on this site.

cheers paul

With regards to the ERR99, how can Lehmanns guarantee that £162 will definitely solve it

I can't see where they have... havent they said thats the minimum it will cost?

Sorry KIPAX, it was mentioned in the thread in the For Sale forum, but I've mentioned in there, that that thread was to discuss the sale only, not the resulting ERR 99 problem, so I 'repeated it' in here :)
Sorry, should have mentioned :)

I have a 20D which does not like non-Canon lens and often throws up an Err99 error. I am lucky in that to fix it all I have to do is hold the lens release button and rotate the lens back and forth a few times. This action "cleans" the lens contacts and combined with a re-boot usually works.

Back