South-East England Essex Locations

Name
Bobbie
Edit My Images
No
I am extremely new to forums!

I am designated photographer for a unsigned local band. I love it and my head is bursting full of idea's for various shoots but the problem is finding locations in Essex!
I am young and have hardly had the luxury to travel and stumble across picturesque places on my own, this is why I am here!

For an idea on the feel for the shoot, They are an electronic/alternative, three piece boy band. The general gist is moody, dark, natural!

I'd love to find a derelict building in the area that I can use as a backdrop!

Really appreciate any help or advice that anyone can give!

Thanks xo

charlotteM I am looking for anything from run down buildings to abandoned foundations/car parks?
Something that screams 'i am from another time' - neglected, character, something with a bit of spirit but not actual spirits ;)

I appreciate any help/advice on this that you can give! :)
xo

Hi Nick! I am based in Basildon. I know your initial thoughts are that Basildon is pretty run down as it is but I have exhausted all of its assets already and it doesn't offer the full extent of character, that i am looking for!
I have a full day set aside for a small bit of traveling on Sunday with the subjects to find somewhere, more than one, location.

Any help/advise you can give is fully appreciated! :)
xo

Not derelict as such, but there is quite an interesting little subway underneath the M11 near Elsenham that i alwyas thought would make a good 'Band' shoot location if lit well.

Thank you for that Nick! I will look into this.

Really appreciate that :)
xo

No worries. It may not be what you are looking for/suitable, but I just remembered seeing a few pictures of it on Google a while back, and it looked nice and grotty :D

Nick, I have used Mr.Google and It looks like a good little place and unlike anywhere I have used before!
Thank You for your help!
:)
xo

No problem

Remember to post some photos of the shoot on here whatever location you decide to use. Ive done a bit of band photography (live and posed), so would be interested to see them ;)

I certainly will! After all of everyone's help so far, how could i not! :)

Please see the follow picture from our August 2013 photo shoot, latest shoot. Please be nice, I practice photography on weekends and bank holidays and only for 3/4 years.

View attachment 3481

Not bad! Only looking on my phone, but they all look a little dark. Was this just shot with natural light, or did you use any artificial lighting? I would have been tempted to shoot from a slightly lower angle, and brighten up the guys faces a little, as the 2 either side of the tree look a little bit lost in the background. They need to stand out more. .....all just my opinion of course :0)

I am constantly look for peoples opinions and advise! How else am I meant to learn! Thank You Nick!
The main man is up front and center, this shoot had to emphasis that, most of the other pictures are subtly the same in that respect. I used only natural light, I do not yet have the luxury of artificial lighting or anything else remotely helpful for that matter (expensive hobby! lol)

Thanks again!
xo

You could see if you can still get access to Colchester Mental Institution. I shot there once in some of the abandoned buildings. I also shot on Shoeburyness seafront where there are old military piers stretching into the water and also old military buildings. With both of those though that was a few years ago and there might have been housing estates built on them now!

Other than that, there are large car parks in every town. Can't hurt to ask the local authority? Or just do it one evening.

Have you looked at some of the urban exploration forums?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you CharlotteM!
I will look into all of your suggestions, including the forum (No, i have not done this)
Shoeburyness sounds interesting so I will do my homework!

Thanks a lot! :)
xo

Thank you CharlotteM!
I will look into all of your suggestions, including the forum (No, i have not done this)
Shoeburyness sounds interesting so I will do my homework!

Thanks a lot! :)
xo

I'm still working at the moment, but I'll see if I can dig out my old pictures from there later.

Back