Non UK European Recommendations?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Planning to go away in March for a week, but not sure where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Not Iceland, as much as I love it - I don't think my wife wants to go somewhere colder right now.

Personally I like low crime areas which I can feel safe carrying my DSLR gear around. I felt a lot more relaxed in Bern and Reykjavik, than I have in Amsterdam and Sofia (I might just need to get used to this..)

We had talked about Copenhagen for a weekend trip, but haven't yet had a look what we could do for a week.

Krakow is a lovely place and very photogenic. It has a lot of charm and character. I've been there four times and always felt at ease there. It's good value for money and quite a small city so easy to get around. It can be very cold there though. Plenty to see and do - castle and market square will easily fill a couple of days. If you are happy to venture out of the city a bit then there's Nowa Huta, Auschwitz-Birkenau and also the salt mines. Each of these locations is a day each.

Copenhagen is nice, but more of a weekend rather than a week from the trip I had there a few years ago - although I fancy going back, crossing the bridge and looking at Malmo and southern Sweden. Unlikely to be very warm in March.

Berlin is a very good city to visit - and not very expensive (I can recommend a very decent 4* in Friedrichshain). I've done four summer trips there and will probably get a long weekend in again later this year - the more you know the city, the more you realise you want to see. Again, not a warm destination in March.

Thanks for the advice.

We did go to Berlin for a weekend, my wife is currently looking at Italy!

Tenerife. Black sand. Mount Tiede. Beautiful Island. Puerta de la Cruz in the north is great. Average temp in March is 17°C. Not exactly hot but not too cool either.

Have a look at Dubrovnik, Croatia. Lovely, and ideal for a short getaway. Coincidentally, its also good for photography ;)

Hi Dan, I second Dubrovnik and you could tie in some of Montenegro which is a lovely place and a cheap hire car will see you around the whole country. The Bay of Kotor, Lake Skadar and Kotor old town make for some good shooting - the place was cheap when I went in 2011, but no doubt it's more expensive now.

Thanks, Drubonvnik looks interest - though i'm not a fan of driving in foreign countries - not sure i want the stress on holiday

Dubrovnik would be great, though I've read that to hire a car is a bit of a pain, as Dubrovnik and surrounding areas, though part of Croatia aren't directly attached, and you have to drive through a small section of Bosnia to get to the main area of Croatia, which involves lots of passes and things. I could be wrong but that was read from the FCO. There's plenty to explore while down there though, and it's a great place to unwind.
I would recommend Venice, it's reasonably priced to get there and stay, I paid £360 for 3 nights in January 2013 staying in the four star Duodo Palace on a B&B basis, flying with BA. Be warned though it is bloody expensive when you're there. We paid 5 Euros for a can of coke in a restaurant. Weather was cold, but dry and sunny for the entire trip. Summer is supposed to be very busy in Venice, and a bit smelly, so going in the colder months is advised.

Back