Ewa Marine SLR Camera Underwater Housing

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
Has anybody used or got one of these housings? Are they any good, is it easy to use the camera and what where the photos like? I am thinking of getting one of these for my Canon 400d. Any info at all would be great.
Thanks

Neil

A couple of weeks ago I was in Cameras Underwater in London, asking about whether it was possible to hire waterproof housings for DSLRs. The chap I spoke to advised me that unless I really really want to use a DSLR, and unless I'm a reasonably experienced diver (neither of which is the case), then I shouldn't go down the DSLR route. He said that with a P&S you can enjoy the dive and take pictures if you feel like it; but with a DSLR the camera just takes over the whole dive. He was very persuasive.

(Plus, I wouldn't want to use a DSLR underwater without Live View.)

Thank you for the link Nigel. You shots are really good. Can I ask are you able to use other lenses with it?

Thanks again.

Neil

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have used the 18-55 kit lens and it will also take the 18-135 kit lens but I was not as happy with the results - I couldn't see the point of having the longer length without additional lights.
I have tried my Tokina 11-16mm which just fits in the housing with a bit of rearrangement of the brackets but I cant get the lens close enough to the front glass and the wide angle captures the glass rim as a thick, black line!

@StewartR - yes that's the one problem with using the D80 in the EwaMarine U-A; you can't frame the shot too well through the viewfinder. I only use the D80 for snorkelling and it tends to be a bit shoot and hope!! The dozen or so shots that I keep are from a batch of 100+.
I've just got a Nikon P5100 with the Fantasea case that I am going to try out with scuba later this year. My scuba skills are definitely not sufficient for DSLR work (yet) and my wallet isn't up to the dedicated housing and strobes (and probably never will be :shake:)

Cheers,

Nigel

A couple of weeks ago I was in Cameras Underwater in London, asking about whether it was possible to hire waterproof housings for DSLRs. The chap I spoke to advised me that unless I really really want to use a DSLR, and unless I'm a reasonably experienced diver (neither of which is the case), then I shouldn't go down the DSLR route. He said that with a P&S you can enjoy the dive and take pictures if you feel like it; but with a DSLR the camera just takes over the whole dive. He was very persuasive.

(Plus, I wouldn't want to use a DSLR underwater without Live View.)

Thanks for the kind comments.

I have used the 18-55 kit lens and it will also take the 18-135 kit lens but I was not as happy with the results - I couldn't see the point of having the longer length without additional lights.
I have tried my Tokina 11-16mm which just fits in the housing with a bit of rearrangement of the brackets but I cant get the lens close enough to the front glass and the wide angle captures the glass rim as a thick, black line!

@StewartR - yes that's the one problem with using the D80 in the EwaMarine U-A; you can't frame the shot too well through the viewfinder. I only use the D80 for snorkelling and it tends to be a bit shoot and hope!! The dozen or so shots that I keep are from a batch of 100+.
I've just got a Nikon P5100 with the Fantasea case that I am going to try out with scuba later this year. My scuba skills are definitely not sufficient for DSLR work (yet) and my wallet isn't up to the dedicated housing and strobes (and probably never will be :shake:)

Cheers,

Nigel

Thank you both. I really dont know what to do now:thinking: I have a Canon ixus 950is and the housing is around about the same price. So do I go for that or the Ewa one? I will be snorkelling in the Bahamas so this is what I wanted it for. Decisions decisions:help:
Neil

Snorkelling? Ixus every time. Why would you even think otherwise?

I looked down this route myself recently. I'm away next week and really wanted the ability to take underwater photos. I've used disposable underwater film cameras in the past but it works out very expensive to buy and develop them.

So I started looking into waterproof housings. I quickly rules out the bags, whilst cheap, they're cumbersome and can get in the way of what you want to shoot. Also, there's a chance they could leak - they're only a bag after all. So it had to be a case.

I've got a D80, but based on my experiences with P/s film disposable cameras I've learned that looking through a viewfinder whilst wearing a snorkling mask is nigh on impossible, so the DSLR was out. So I needed a hard case for my compact camera. After much searching I found a vivtar camera, complete with underwater case for £31. Not only did I get a camera and case but the price was also £100 cheaper than it would be for a case alone for my P/s.

Ok, so it's not going to be up to the standard of an expensive compact or DSLR, but it'll provide great flexiblity and considerably better results than a disposable camera. Anyway, we all know that great photographs are down to the photographer and not the equipment.

If you're interested in saving yourself a fortune and not risking taking your SLR underwater then look here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138461

HTH

Thank you both. I really dont know what to do now:thinking: I have a Canon ixus 950is and the housing is around about the same price. So do I go for that or the Ewa one? I will be snorkelling in the Bahamas so this is what I wanted it for. Decisions decisions:help:
Neil

Neil,
If it's just for snorkelling then I'd go the Ixus route.
As I use mine for surfing shots where I definitely want a) DSLR and b) waterproofing the U-A works for me; being able to use it for snorkelling as well is a bit of a bonus.
Just my personal preference and opinion!
Cheers,
Nigel

Ok so the Ewa is out. Thank you for your help everyone. Can i ask Stolen Souls what you pics are like with the Vivitar?

Neil

I was diving with a guy in Thailand that had a class wee camera,

It was a 5mp no-brand thing from china off ebay for £50. No external housing (just looked like your average cheap digicam)!!! 3x optical zoom, 2" LCD and built in flash. We were down to 24m and the shots the guy got were amazing!! I was suprised the thing survived let alone the pics it produced! Looked great on the LCD full of colour, no idea how'd they print or look @ 100% but for £50 i was amazed.

Could be an alternative to risking something expensive. Going to get one to play about with for some surfing shots or the next time i go diving.

I've not got it yet, it's on it's way. I did a bit of googling and found quite a few sample shots though. In fact, I'm sure google lead me back to a thread on this forum!

If I were you, I'd also investigate the camera thompo mentioned. It's £20 more but it does have optical zoom. I've not come across this on my hunt though.

I was diving with a guy in Thailand that had a class wee camera,

It was a 5mp no-brand thing from china off ebay for £50. No external housing (just looked like your average cheap digicam)!!! 3x optical zoom, 2" LCD and built in flash. We were down to 24m and the shots the guy got were amazing!! I was suprised the thing survived let alone the pics it produced! Looked great on the LCD full of colour, no idea how'd they print or look @ 100% but for £50 i was amazed.

Could be an alternative to risking something expensive. Going to get one to play about with for some surfing shots or the next time i go diving.
If you could remember the name of the camera that would be great, I will have a look at it. I will try and search on eBay. Thanks
I've not got it yet, it's on it's way. I did a bit of googling and found quite a few sample shots though. In fact, I'm sure google lead me back to a thread on this forum!

If I were you, I'd also investigate the camera thompo mentioned. It's £20 more but it does have optical zoom. I've not come across this on my hunt though.
I am very tempted just to get the vivitar one, but will have a look on eBay for the one mentioned above. Thank you.

Back