Expensive memory

odd jim

Flimsiest Lambresta
Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Is it worth paying over the odds for memory? I have a mix of CF cards for my 400D, ranging from an expensive 1gb Lexar card (which was about £30) to a very inexpensive 4gb Peak card (which only cost me £15 from Novatech). The Peak card has been in my camera for a while now, and I've never had any problems, it writes faster than the more expensive cards I have and has been 100% reliable. It also came with a lifetime warranty.

Is more expensive memory (Sandisk etc) really worth it, and has anyone ever had any issues wih the more inexpensive cards?

ive got sandisk, i think its a peace of mind thing? that and the read/write times are better (esp at clearing the buffer) than the old kingston cards i had.

I must admit, I was always wary of losing data on a cheaper card (nothing worse than losing a card of images!) but so far I havnt had any problems like this which has made me think as I always bought Lexar cards before.

I agree with Neil_g. I have Sandisk cards as they are much faster at writing to my 1D Mk3, which is a real boon in burst mode. The 400D doesn't shoot as fast so those write speeds are less important. If you are happy with your cards then stick with them. Even Sandisk and Lexar cards can go wrong, so there's no guarantee that you won't lose images, even with the more expensive cards. That's why I prefer to use 4Gb cards and reduce the risk of losing a lot of shots, than buying 16Gb or even 32Gb cards.

i also use Sandisk, great cards and seem fater than the Lexar ones i previously had

can be had cheap from Kerso/Play.com to

Is it worth paying over the odds for memory? I have a mix of CF cards for my 400D, ranging from an expensive 1gb Lexar card (which was about £30) to a very inexpensive 4gb Peak card (which only cost me £15 from Novatech). The Peak card has been in my camera for a while now, and I've never had any problems, it writes faster than the more expensive cards I have and has been 100% reliable. It also came with a lifetime warranty.

Is more expensive memory (Sandisk etc) really worth it, and has anyone ever had any issues wih the more inexpensive cards?

Is there such a thing as expensive memory now? You can get a 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III or a Lexar Professional 233x for less than £20 if you shop around. As regards if it's worth paying a little extra for a reputable make, personally I think yes. I use Sandisk exclusively but that's only because in 3 years and with 5 DSLR's I'm yet to have a problem.

I wouldn't buy SanDisk from many fleabay sellers: too great a risk of a fake.

I'll never buy Pretec again. They're supposed to be fast and rugged for industrial and military applications, and cost more than SanDisk. Jactron, their UK distributor, claim a write speed of 30MB/s. I got under 10MB/s which was agreed with by Pretec in Taiwan, who said "Pretec 233X is emphasized on the read speed instead of write speed."

Kingston 100x almost matched SanDisk Extreme III. Puddleduck has had issues with Kingston, though. A Dane-Elec is equivalent to the Pretec, but at about a quarter of the price.

I use ATTO Disk Benchmark, a tiny prog and easy enough to find.

£17 (or round abouts) for 4GB Sandisk Extreme IIIs really can't be grumbled at from Play.com etc. Fantastic quality and dirt cheap!

I wouldn't buy SanDisk from many fleabay sellers: too great a risk of a fake.

I'll never buy Pretec again. They're supposed to be fast and rugged for industrial and military applications, and cost more than SanDisk. Jactron, their UK distributor, claim a write speed of 30MB/s. I got under 10MB/s which was agreed with by Pretec in Taiwan, who said "Pretec 233X is emphasized on the read speed instead of write speed."

Kingston 100x almost matched SanDisk Extreme III. Puddleduck has had issues with Kingston, though. A Dane-Elec is equivalent to the Pretec, but at about a quarter of the price.

I use ATTO Disk Benchmark, a tiny prog and easy enough to find.

I saw the Dane Elec cards are they worth a shot?

I use Kingston ones because we use all types of Kingston memory in work. You can get 8GB 133x CF cards for about £12 from 7dayshop.

I picked up 3 4Gb CF Sandisk Extreme-III cards for about £14 each at PCW when they were still doing the price match. Top bargin imo! :woot:

Back