Critique Experimenting with multiple flash units using Harry Potter & Dobby miniature figures

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
On a steep learning curve with lighting for close-up. Using miniature figures and a ring flash (heavily diffused an 50% power) and 2 slaves again very diffused and 50% power. Sing a black Perspex backdrop. Tried about 20 + locations of slaves, these LHS same level, RHS slightly higher and further away. Tried bouncing from below but it did not work. 1/200th f22 Sigma 105mm Macro, tethered shooting with LR

As usual all comments and suggestions gratefully received
Harry Potter (1 of 1).jpgDobby (1 of 1).jpg

This would probably be better posted in the lighting section. I suggest starting with one light (not the ring light).

If you want to keep it a one light setup then find a good ambient (available light) exposure for what will not be lit, and add the flash to suit.
If you want to build up the lighting start with a dark frame exposure and add one light (main/key); adjust it to suit. Then add the next light to fix/fill/light something the key light isn't, and then add the next light... only add lights as necessary.

You also need to have some kind of goal/idea in mind as to what kind of lighting (mood/effect) you want to create...

From your results I'm guessing "heavily diffused" doesn't really mean much and it's mostly just wasting power/battery... the amount of diffusion really makes no difference in light quality; what matters is the area of diffusion (relative size and how evenly it is lit). Yes, there are videos/lessons teaching the opposite... they are wrong.

This would probably be better posted in the lighting section. I suggest starting with one light (not the ring light).

If you want to keep it a one light setup then find a good ambient (available light) exposure for what will not be lit, and add the flash to suit.
If you want to build up the lighting start with a dark frame exposure and add one light (main/key); adjust it to suit. Then add the next light to fix/fill/light something the key light isn't, and then add the next light... only add lights as necessary.

You also need to have some kind of goal/idea in mind as to what kind of lighting (mood/effect) you want to create...

From your results I'm guessing "heavily diffused" doesn't really mean much and it's mostly just wasting power/battery... the amount of diffusion really makes no difference in light quality; what matters is the area of diffusion (relative size and how evenly it is lit). Yes, there are videos/lessons teaching the opposite... they are wrong.
Thanks for the comprehensive critique. I did indeed start with ambient light as you say and had lots of shadows/unlit areas. Adding the ring flash made for better lighting but I felt it was to harsh and gave some nasty reflections, so I added some kitchen roll to spread the light more evenly (well that was my plan) which helped. I then added other flashes with various diffussion/reflection and angles/power settings. Overall I got the result I was looking for and the person that supplied the figure was well pleased.

Good Point - I need to read the manuals better so I can reduce power to save battery. I am using the ring as a master, perhaps a flash commander would help ( I am negotiating a loner from a friend) it would presumably give much greater control over power and distance settings on slaves.

PS I do not know how to move this to lighting section !

Back