Experts help please

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
My kit consists of a Canon 400d and a canon L IS USM 70-200 F2.8 and was wanting to upgrade my camera.
I really enjoy sports photography, which most of is indoor martial arts. When i turn up my ISO on the 400D it is very grainy.
If i go for the Canon 1D, will i still have this problem with the High ISO?
I got a shot of a Nikon D3 and it was far better indoor with the rotten lighting.

So the dilema is, do i sell all my stuff and buy a Nikon D3 and New lens or do i go for the Canon 1D?

Plese help if you have experience working with both cameras and your views on what to do.

400D to 1Dmk3 or NikonD3 is a huge upgrade. My advice would be to save some cash all round and get a 50D which will outperform a 400D by a country mile and will perform well for sports. If you end up a full time pro sports photographer then get the 1Dmk3 but I still see plenty of pros using the 30/40/50D at major sports events.

If you have money to burn then get the 1DmkIII (not the 's' if you're doing sports). It's got to be cheaper than moving to Nikon surely if you've already got the 70-200 2.8IS.

First question - what is your budget for a body and glass?

My budget would be aroung £4500

I know there's alot of mid way range cameras but dont really see the point in buying a camera and then in a year wanting to change it again. I'd rather just spend the money and know i've bagged myself a belter.
And if it means changing over to Nikon to get the results that i would be happy with then i have no problem doing that.

That would just get you a D3 and a 70-200 VR, however you'd get pretty similar results from a D700 and you'd have change for another decent lens too...

the mk3 is very good at high iso and the best camera for sports in the canon range..

this picture is iso 2500 indoors poor ligthing.. iso 2500 f2.8 shutter 320 .. so you can imagine the poor light.. I ahve done NO noise removal other than dust scratches in photoshop.

test_pp.jpg

this is a 100% crop of the above.. shot in JPG and absoloutly no processing..

test_crop.jpg

If you want good high ISO and have the budget, the Nikon D3 and D700 are peerless. Canon 1D3 is also very good. Nothing else is in the same league. AF is super fast also.

jeez, that's quite a budget for an upgrade from a 400D

for mid range canon are pretty good, noise on the high Nikons should be excellent.
unless you really want to spend the money I'd look at the 50D as the lens you have is superb then look into some fast glass

I would also look at primes for martial arts, the 50mm or the 85mm will get you pretty close if you're on the sidelines
I've used a 50-150 sigma on a 40D for indoor martial arts, nice combo
or this shot was on a 40D, no flash, tamron f2.8 and there is some nice canon f2.8 glass in the L range and just below it (if you're on a cropped sensor)

marry some good fast pro glass with anything top end nikon or canon and you can't really go wrong. A lot of sports toggers are moving nikon D3x recently I think..

Back