expired film anyone use??

That said, if we're just talking about the bridge picture, what would you want to do with it, I mean, the sky is blown nothins gonna change that, maybe it needs a straighten and if you have to, a bit of colour livening, apart from that....where else is there to go....I dunno

To be fair, the sky is not blown; it is just much brighter in relative terms than other parts of the scan, so it is difficult to make out the detail. A raw scan of the negative and the use of an ND grad tool in Lightroom would bring back as much detail as you can get from a drab, grey sky.

If I found myself needing to shoot landscapes in that sort of lighting, I'd be looking to use ND grads to balance out the exposure between the dark foreground and the much brighter skies. Ideally though, I'd really rather be looking for better light.

yes i agree poor light not good but was itching to shoot some film :)

There's not a problem with wanting to get out to use your camera and, besides, it'd be unrealistic to expect to shoot in amazing light all the time.

That said, you might need to temper your expectations when shooting in that sort of light or consider adjusting your photography to suit the circumstances. For instance, the diffused light from overcast skies might be ideal for shooting portraits, as there are no harsh shadows to worry about.

As for getting the detail that you're looking for, keep in mind that it is you that is the biggest factor—and not the camera or any other piece of equipment. Between your composition, choice of aperture, shutter speed, technique, willingness to get up for sunrise, etc., it is the choices that you make that will have the biggest impact on the look of your images.

Last edited:
Back