Expired film

L

lauren_t

I bought some expired Ilford 3200 (May 2010) and I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to whether it will still be ok to shoot with?
The films are being kept in a cupboard at college and I have no idea how long they've been in there, possibly before they expired but I don't know for certain.

Thanks.

Should be alright but then 3200 is very sensitive. I am currently shooting some provia which is from the 90's and it's perfect.

Really good chance it'd be ok, I'd have thought. The expiry date is more that the manufacturer will not guarantee that the film will perform exactly the same as a fresh roll. But with recently expired film, I think you'd need to expose rolls and rolls of the stuff before you noticed the difference.

The faster speeds are more sensitive, so it makes sense to shoot it now, before the days get much longer and the film is put back in the cupboard fro another year (or five).

If there's a few rolls, I'd be tempted to take 'em home and stick them in the freezer until you need them, personally. If it's just the one roll, get it shot!

As bigyin says.

Freezr will stabilise the emulsion for ages. A lot depends on how its been stored.

Heat, moisture, pressure, abrasion, radiation and vibration all have an effect on stability of the emulsion.

Heat, moisture, pressure, abrasion, radiation and vibration all have an effect on stability of the emulsion.

Film photography is never as bad as when using old film that's been stored...probably in a cupboard above an oven or hob. I shot one roll of something like Tudor film (yanno get a free film with no markings on the neg to find out where it came from) it was OOD and the colours were terrible and I couldn't get anything decent looking using photoshop.

I've used Tudor film. Even fresh it looked mince!

Hopefully my 5 year out of date Jessops and Ilford B & W will still be ok. Going to try and make a dent in the pile of them this year. Just finished a roll that has been sat in the camera for several years...

tudor film ergh. Quite possibly the worst film I have ever used!

It produced a selection of colours unknown anywhere in the natural world :LOL:

I've seen Klick film at bootsales...wonder who made that.

Back