Exposure, Hue shift and screen dynamic range

• Thread starter Deleted member 95430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 95430

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQMKvpDTYU

While checking out Darktable and related tutorials I came across this interesting concept. It's do with when exposure is increased in an image, it doesnt happen as we typically expect and go straight to white but the colours and hue shifts which may need correction. In darktable this is done with a 'filmic' tool which has the exposure behave more like a film response.

Is this something others experience and/or do programs like CaptureOne/Adobe etc deal with it behind the scenes

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQMKvpDTYU

While checking out Darktable and related tutorials I came across this interesting concept. It's do with when exposure is increased in an image, it doesnt happen as we typically expect and go straight to white but the colours and hue shifts which may need correction. In darktable this is done with a 'filmic' tool which has the exposure behave more like a film response.

Is this something others experience and/or do programs like CaptureOne/Adobe etc deal with it behind the scenes
I think LR and C1 do deal with it "behind the scenes" as it is mentioned every so often when a new version is released. Not directly, but in terms of Improved highlight control, giving a smoother roll off with less colour shift/banding. edit: Th exposure slider in capture one is apparently a "smart" slider that corrects for changes in saturation and hue when exposure is changes are made.

One not behind the scenes way of dealing with it in Photoshop might be to use the L*A*B colour space instead of an RGB colour space, where luminance and colour are independent. of each other. But I've seen forum debates on this with some people arguing the benefits of using a L*A*B and others arguing that modern versions of software work just as well in RGB, making L*A*B obsolete. C1 provides L*A*B colour readouts (with a picker) but doesn't give any tools to edit in L*A*B (only RGB, as with LR) edit: where I say coloul space, I think I mean colour model :-(

Having said that I only have a very vague understanding of how all this works,

Have you found Andy Astbury's Darktable tutorials. In searching for the Link, I see that he has just released a Darktable/Filmic tutorial (which I haven't watched)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cns-7tWEdSI

Last edited:
thank you! I'm on the look out for any and all darktable resources, for something so mature theres not much to learn off, I'll add these to my playlists

Cheers

thank you! I'm on the look out for any and all darktable resources, for something so mature theres not much to learn off, I'll add these to my playlists

Cheers
There is also this site "text plus youtube" if you haven't already found it.

Having watched your link and Andy Astbury's, I've now downloaded Darktable and had a little play (I tried it briefly some time ago). The filmic module does look rather nice, at least at first glance.

Yeah it feels you have to keep up with it currently, on its 4th major release now

Back