Extenders.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Having bought a 70-200Lf4 IS USM,
I want to look at getting an extender.
Should I go for the Canon 1.4, or is there an alternative?

Having put this in totally the wrong place,can some one kindly move it for me.
Thanks in advance.

Canon 2x? Or Sigma do ones too. Ive heard the Canon 1.4x is a fair bit sharper than the 2x, but ive seen some great shots with the 2x on here so maybe thats just usual 100% crop omg its so terrible review talk.

There are alternatives to the Canon 1.4x; Kenko and Sigma, for example, make 1.4x extenders. I don't have any experience of them but I'm sure somebody will be along soon who has.

2x extenders are a whole different story though, for two reasons. Firstly the impact on image quality is considerably greater than with a 1.4x. Secondly you won't be able to autofocus with that camera/lens combination.

Standard answer to your question is exactly as Stewart has said.

I have tried them all, and optically the best Extender is the Canon 1.4x and it works very well on your lens. I bought one, but then tried a Kenko 1.4x 300 Pro up against it, and promptly took the Canon back. The Kenko is not quite as sharp (though you have to look hard to see it) but it is a lot smaller and lighter, and about half the price. Best of all for me is that because the Kenko doesn't have the Canon's sticky-out front, it can be used on a few more lenses. For example, it works very well on the EF 100mm macro, creating a 140mm f/4 which I like very much for the extra working distance it gives for macro :)

These two extenders, specifically, are commonly regarded as the best, and Sigma's 1.4x also gets good mentions. The cheaper 1.5x and all 2x jobbies are actually rather nasty.

Richard.

Another vote here for the Kenko 1.4x Pro, I used the canon "white" version of the Kenko on my 70-200 2.8L for a year, I've also used the black on on my 135L, both worked great.

Thanks for all replies and advice.
I shall start looking out for best offers.:ty:

Back