Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to partake of some, after Steves recommendation :thumb:
Ideally I'd like the original Canon set, but as usual I'm tighter than cramp, so have been looking on eBay for some.

I got outbid before for a set that we selling down south (in the UK), got pipped to the post for them, and they went (full set) for £26. My max bid was £25.

I've bid on a second set which ends in a couple of days, so hopefully (fingers crossed).

So, anyone else got some? Care to share your experiences/shots? Thoughts?

An excellent, and cheap, addition to your camera kit. Will give you hours of fun.

I'm considering a x1.4 for my 75-300.

I was advised against the x2 as it stops too much light and this lens goes a hunting at the best of times.

If I get one I'll be painting the lens white and wrapping a red stripe around it. (I'm a poser)

Bachs said:
I'm considering a x1.4 for my 75-300.

I was advised against the x2 as it stops too much light and this lens goes a hunting at the best of times.

If I get one I'll be painting the lens white and wrapping a red stripe around it. (I'm a poser)

Those I believe are teleconvertors not extention tubes ;)

Marcel I think that for £25 you would have got a bargain, for extention tubesthere really is no advantage in buying Canon as they are massively overpriced and do not conatin any glass (the usual thing to degrade the quality) As long as they are made well and fit together fine (both Jessops and Kenco's sets do) then buy from the cheapest place available.

Well if these don't go for £25 (or thereabouts in my favour) there's another one on a buy it now for £20 (didnt see it and I really don't want to retract my bid).

I might be totally wrong here but IF I remember correctly the ones you really want maintain the communication between the lens and camera, they'll probably include "AUTO" in the description. Otherwise your stuck shooting with the lens wide open and depth of field will be next to nothing.

I believe Doddy speaks words of wisdom. If you don't maintain the automatic diaphragm function, you'll be well rogered! Mind you,the last dealings I had with extension tubes was the old mechanical linkage to the diaphragm, so I'm not sure how things work with them these days, but as you don't have any access to aperture settings on modern lenses (to do stop down metering) I don't see how you can get around the problem.

If all extension tubes maintain a simple electrical connection which seems to be all that's required, then no probs.

CT said:
I'm not sure how things work with them these days, but as you don't have any access to aperture settings on modern lenses (to do stop down metering) I don't see how you can get around the problem.

EDIT: DISCLAIMER: TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK

I havent tried this but have read about it.

With the lens on the camera set the aperture you want and press the DOF button. Keeping the DOF button depressed remove the lens. In some cases the diaphragm remains at the selected aperture until you put it back on the camera and power up. I'll try to find some links.

Back