extension tubes...

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I am thinking of getting some extension tubes to use with my nify fifty but have a question for those that use them.

Since the aperture can't be changed because the lens has no contact with the camera, won't the DOF be so small as to make it unusable on a 1.8 lens?

What results do people get with their '50 and these manual tubes? Is it particularly hard to get decent results?

I just posted a couple in the Macro forum, using extension tubes

IMG_6046.jpg

that was 36mm + 20mm + 12mm
focal length 70mm
30secs f/16
ISO 200

admittedly auto, but I always manual focus for macro
DOF is miniscule, but that's what makes the challenge

oh and you always stop down as much as you can to eek out the DOF
at f/1.8 it'll be so small that you'd never hack it!

With the lens attached to the body select the aperture you wish to use. The press the DoF Preview button and while keeping it held down remove the lens. It will now be locked in your chosen aperture.

Obviously you cannot change the aperture again without attaching and detaching the lens, but you are not stuck with f/1.8.

Michael.

Spending the extra on a set of auto tubes is well worth it, you won't have to mess about at all.

With the lens attached to the body select the aperture you wish to use. The press the DoF Preview button and while keeping it held down remove the lens. It will now be locked in your chosen aperture.

Obviously you cannot change the aperture again without attaching and detaching the lens, but you are not stuck with f/1.8.

Michael.

Thanks for that, I did wonder if there was another way around it :clap:

I am also considering the auto tubes but if I go down that route it certainly wont be this month as i've just splashed out on a 40D + grip :)

Back