External Desktop Drive

Edit My Images
No
With my growing number of images, I need to move on from memory sticks and discs, just been into my local Tesco and they have a Seagate External Desktop Drive 500 for £49.97, is this the type of thing I need, and is it a good product/buy as I have no idea, if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Yes, that sort of things, although a 1 TB drive (twice the size) is only £ 20 more from Ebuyer.

500Gb ones are around the £ 50 mark.

Although backing up onto DVD is still a good idea as storing all your data without a backup is asking for trouble.

Just had a drive corrupt on me . Bad file system or something, almost lost 2 years worth of images. Back up drive restored everything, ( admittedly it took 6 hours). Yes there were a lot of images. All backed up onto hard drive AND DVD.

As the saying goes there are 2 types of people, Those who have had a drive fail, and those who are about too.

I bought two Iomega 1TB external drives from Comet a few weeks ago (they're Samsung inside), the idea being to backup to both and replace when one dies or they're filled up. I also aim to keep them separated, for further safety against calamities.

Backing up to DVD takes me ages cos I like everything sorted, but burning straight after the transfer to PC and first cull would be a good idea -- just remember to use hash checks.

Think I'll go and get one while there on offer as I've started to build up quite a few images, I think the 500 will do me for a while yet, thanks everyone

Think I'll go and get one while there on offer as I've started to build up quite a few images, I think the 500 will do me for a while yet, thanks everyone
I would just buy 2 500GB internal drives, one as a storage drive and the other as a back up to that.

anything over 12 months old i just keep 2 copies on dvd's but anything more recent i keep copies on one of my laptops and desktops and anyhting really important on one of my servers aswell. I also keeps vital files (not usually pics) on a few drives that i attach with an external connector.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Shar...esktop-Docking-station-for-2-SATA-HDDs-(25-35)

this also can be a god send if you get a corrupt install as alot of the time after a reinstall of the o/s it can read the drive and can recover important files.

Back