External Storage question

Matt

TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking at a new external HDD to store my oddles of naff photos and 80's cheese music, whats can you all recommend?:thinking:

We're looking at these at the moment too so will be waiting for replies with interest!

ermmmmm USB i suppose?

Or is that an "I don't know" :D
NAS drives are handy as they can be networked between several machines, and are also "seperate" from any PC - they also tend to be nippier, coming with 1GB connections most of the time, which wizzes all over USB2.
They are, however, more expensive - if you just want somewhere to dump yer files, as opposed to backing them up, then a USB drive is probably the better method.
What sort of capacity are you after?

im looking to back up and store, ive currently got 13gb of 80's cheese and a similar amount of crap photos, but ive also got around 50 cds that are about to get ituned...

Well I'm using a Western Digital 'netcenter' 500Gb network drive and it is working out very well. It has usb ports so the printer is plugged into it and anyone can print on the home network with the 'main' computer being on :)

Simple to set up too. Has folders we can each backup to and a shared music folder for pooled music - not that anyone else likes what I do :) cost £195 and plugs into a port on the router.

USB2 ? - I'd just look for whatever is on special offer at the time.

Im using a Western Digital My Book Premium 250gb
stackable, usb, bakcup software included, with easy scheduling (Ive set mine to do all my photos and music at 8am each monday morning) just set it up and leave it.
Easy Peasy. £94 from amazon.

Recommend these myself - choose your capacity :)

I use a LaCie 'Big D' at work which is 500gb and has USB2.0 and Firewire 800 connections. I have it shared between 2 PCs. Pretty speedy and reliable over the last couple of years. Have to use it with your PC though.

Ray

Maybe a removeable caddy may be better.

I use a SATA to USB Caddy and SATA drive but wish i'd bought a removable HDD caddy as i have to use up valuable realestate and another power source.
Spose i could have bought a Lappy drive and caddy

I have a Buffalo Linkstation NAS (250Gb). It has two USB ports , one acting as a print server and the other has a Seagate 160Gb HD plugged in which does an auto backup every sunday at 1am. The advantage of a NAS is that you can move the My_Documents folders onto it which means all users have access to their files from any PC on the network and they all get an auto backup :)

I use a freecom 250Gb USB2/NAS drive that is currently plugged into my router.

It's certainly a good option if you have multiple pcs and want access to your movies/music/photos from all of them.

I bought a cheap Freecom 250Gb USB drive and (finger's X'd) it still works fine after three deployments to Afghanistan (the last one with temps up to 60C).
I'm buying another one today as it's getting abit full...

£80 Can't do better than that...

Back