Eye - Does this work?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Just got a SB-700 and was messing with the off camera CLS on it. Got a few decent shots of my son before he got bored and then had to use myself for testing (that don't sound right).
Had the flash low right and using TTL via the CLS system. Done a bit of processing on this one to try and get a slightly menacing type of image.

Does it work or not? Be brutal, but please let me know what it is you like/dislike.

Thanks
Paul.

Eye by PaulFa, on Flickr

What are all the white sparkles?

I think they may be catch lights off the flash. or over sharpening :shrug:

I like the right hand side but the left, Mmm not too sure. :thinking:

it certainly has a menacing feel to it.

Thank you for the replies, it's the only way we all learn (y)

What are all the white sparkles?

The sparkles are the reflection of the of the flash.

I think they may be catch lights off the flash. or over sharpening :shrug:

I like the right hand side but the left, Mmm not too sure. :thinking:

it certainly has a menacing feel to it.

I agree, I wasn't sure about the left side either, nearly left it very dark but decided to lighten the eye a little.

I agree that it really does have a menacing look to it (y) but I think that you need a little more light on the left of this image so maybe set a reflector to your right (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Maybe I could try that to balance it out a bit more, it's all learning (y)

Overall, it's too dark.

A large white reflective surface to enlarge the catchlight in the eye and give some extra shape to the lit area of the skin would probably sort it though.

My intention was to have it dark and moody, maybe it would work better if it was completely B&W and a little lighter?

I agree with alwyn.

More exposure+reflector

I may try this at some point to see how it comes out.

Thank you
Paul.

I agree, the fact that I can barely make out the left eye makes me look for it is distracting. Menacing though definitely

I like it, looks like a clip from a horror film (if you don't mind me saying)

:)

Really like the idea, but from what I can see (I am viewing on my phone), its very under exposed maybe try and icrease the expose if you shot in raw?

Back