F1n or F1

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, I've made my decision as to what I'm keeping and it's the T70, but I want a better FD body (and I like pairs), so I'm looking at the F1 an the F1n but I'm a little confused as to what I want. In basic words it's simplicity and build quality. A nice bright viewfinder full manual controls and a good built in Meter, has to be there but the F1n has an optional AE prism and viewfinder, I'm lost.

Ok, I've made my decision as to what I'm keeping and it's the T70, but I want a better FD body (and I like pairs), so I'm looking at the F1 an the F1n but I'm a little confused as to what I want. In basic words it's simplicity and build quality. A nice bright viewfinder full manual controls and a good built in Meter, has to be there but the F1n has an optional AE prism and viewfinder, I'm lost.

Canon FTB? Not sure about bright viewfinder as I acted like a gorilla when it needed servicing and broke mine a few years ago and forgotten what it was like.

The F1 lineage is F1-F1n and F1N. The AE prism was available with the F1N. I believe the earliest incarnation came with a meterless prism as standard.
I think the prisms are interchangeable but it may incur the loss of Aperture/Shutter Priority (which, incidentally was only available with the motordrive attached).
The EF model has mechanical shutter speeds down to 1/30 second at which point electronic control took over.
A decent F1 should be <£200 with prices rising exponentially for later, better conditioned models.
Err, I think!

Last edited:
The F1 lineage is F1-F1n and F1N. The AE prism was available with the F1N. I believe the earliest incarnation came with a meterless prism as standard.
I think the prisms are interchangeable but it may incur the loss of Aperture/Shutter Priority (which, incidentally was only available with the motordrive attached).
The EF model has mechanical shutter speeds down to 1/30 second at which point electronic control took over.
A decent F1 should be <£200 with prices rising exponentially for later, better conditioned models.
Err, I think!

yep pricy, but I think the f1n might be the way forward

Funny isn't it, how old film cameras still command a reasonable price but even a half decent digital is rejected for having 'too many' shutter actuation's?
I mean, a 1950's Leica commands a price in the hundreds of pounds and may have shot over 100k pictures.
Still, if you're going to buy analogue, buy mechanical/manual as these things were built to spec. OM-1,OM-3,Nikon F1 and F2 and Canon F1,Leicaflex standard,SL SL2,Minolta SRT, Konica T3 among others. It's a temptation I've resolutely failed to suppress having purchased 4 of the above in the last 6 months. No wonder I'm skint.

Last edited:
Back